• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOTW ROA nipples don't fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Leastways, that what a pal of mine here in UK tells me in a sad little email this evening - here it is - no names, to save his face...

Hi tac, I hope you and your family are all well.

I need to pick your brains concerning ROA nipples.
I have just received six nipples from http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/64/2/PRA-S. Before I checked them I disposed of all the packing and condensed them into one sealable plastic bag. I then proceeded to check their fit on my ROA.

EEK!, they don't fit. The first sign was the size of the hex bit, the Ruger wrench didn't fit. I found a small socket that fitted only to discover the thread is different.
So, I'm in "**** street" :-(

As you can see the stated thread is 12-28 but I don't know what it is on my ROA.

What seemed a reasonable price was initially squashed by £11.61 import duty and now they are no use to me.

I'm hoping you might be able to help me in some way.

If I have to put this down to experience, then, "such is life".

That's it. With Ruger not making any BP-associated parts for what was probably the most popular modern BP revolver ever made, finding anything that will do the job is a PITA, to put it mildly, especially if you are one of the many thousands of Brits who bought the ROA after their cartridge-firing handgun sports were shot dead right there back in 1997.

I get MY replacements from a well-known BP store in Springfield OR, and these little items, made by Butler Creek/Uncle Mikes of Oregon - DO fit - I have them on my ROA and on a couple of buddies to prove it.

Anybody else had this trouble from TOW?

TIA

tac

Last edited by a moderator:
As a point of reference, a #12-28UNF-2A male thread should have an outside diameter of .2085-.2150 inches measured from the tips of the threads.

The #12-28UNF-3A male thread outside diameter is .2095-.2160 making it a slightly tighter fit.

The 28 indicates there are 28 threads per inch of length.

The class 2 threads are most commonly used and I don't know which one Ruger used for its nipples.

I mention this because the metric threads have a M5.5-0.9 thread that is close to being the same.

It has an outside diameter of .217 with 28.22 threads per inch and is an attempt to create a metric version of a #12-28 thread.

Because it is not exactly the same, it could cause an interference with the threaded hole.

A possible solution would be to buy a #12-28-2A die and drive the unknown nipple into it.
This would remove any excess material on the metric thread and should allow the nipple to be used in the Ruger.

I've also replaced mine with those and they work great. This was maybe 2 years ago.

Blomquist also makes the hex head style of nipples, and he also makes them for repros too (hex head). I assume the same wrench will turn them all.

rodwha said:
I've also replaced mine with those and they work great. This was maybe 2 years ago.

Blomquist also makes the hex head style of nipples, and he also makes them for repros too (hex head). I assume the same wrench will turn them all.

Thanks, guys, for the advisories. The Butler Creek/Uncle Mikes also fit perfectly, and are whole lot cheaper than those from TOTW, but I assure you that the ones my pal has from them most certainly do NOT fit.

Maybe a packaging mistake by the guys over at TOTW - these things DO happen in the best regulated organisations.

Best to all and thanks again. :thumbsup:

tac

Back