• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Touch hole size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadnailer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i have a pedersoli blue ridge flintlock can I drill the touch hole a little bigger to allow more fire in the hole and will that help with ignition?

Many factors contribute to good ignition, being a mass production gun certain things can be done to help fix the common issues these rifles exhibit from the factory.

I wouldn't drill more than 1/16", don't crowd the pain with powder either, many think more is better which is not the case.

Try that and if things don't improve the factory production lock can be enhanced with some tuning.

Also you don't need a special priming powder for good ignition (4F) a quality, well made lock will fire 2F as fast as 3F powder all day everyday period. Even those cheap factory locks can be tuned up to preform admirably.

Last edited:
I have two guns bored to 5/64", the ignition got noticeably faster, if you shoot 3F you need a toothpick in the hole or some will leak into the pan when you load. I shoot 1F in one of these guns and 2F in the other.

If you're going to enlarge the touch hole do it incrementally with wire numbered bits, rather than the English ones. There are several sizes between 3/64" and 1/16" to try first. Go with the smallest size that gives you satisfactory ignition. While it's true that a bigger TH will light the main charge faster, more gas will be escaping through it before the pressure builds up to the point that the ball is heading down the bore, thus increasing overall barrel dwell time. And it's total dwell time that is the critical number you care about the most.

Another thing to check is how profusely the frizzen sparks. While it's true that one single spark can light the whole pan, it can take a while for the whole thing to happen. If you have a profuse shower of sparks then the pan will be lit in many places simultaneously, and overall ignition will be faster.

Here is a list of the numbered drill bit sizes.

Drill Size Diameter
53 0.0595
1/16 0.0625
52 0.0635
51 0.0670
50 0.0700
49 0.0730
48 0.0760
5/64 0.0781

The issue I have seen is that when you go to the 5/64" touch hole, there is the likelihood that with 3fg powder you may self prime unless you keep a toothpick or quill in the touch hole when loading.

Back