• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOW carrying Rice barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoyt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a feeling TOW was going to start carrying Rice barrels when I saw the TOW add on Rice's web site. Looks like now you can order one and get it quick.
Rice Barrels

I ordered a custom barrel from Ed Rayl for another $10. One and three sixteenths at the breech, .60 caliber, forty-two inches long. That's too high from TOW.

You get what you pay for. Rice has a mission statement that his barrels will be properly breeched, which I have found not to be true for a other, so called, high end barrel maker.

Sounds like he is putting out considerable extra care to produce the best there is.

There is some sticker shock there but compared to any other machining it's very reasonable. We've gotten used to things staying the same forever but look at how everything else has gone up since the 80's.

I expect other makers will be tickling the $300 barrier before 2 years pass by with their swamped barrels. The demand is there, that's for sure.

It's about $50 more than I paid for the one I just got..however if I knew it would have shipped the next day I ordered it I would have paid the extra $50 to get it 2 or 3 months sooner.

I think the .40 cal "B" profile made by LC Rice cost me $215. delivered to my door. It took 2 to 3 months to get it, which I didn't consider too long a wait for the quality of the product.
I would not think you will be able to get them much faster. He still makes them one the same way.
If one uses Track's gunsmith service and has the dovetails cut for the lugs and sights then that adds up to a very expensive barrel.
And if you have never cut a dovetail in a barrel and it scares you to death, then having Track do it makes sense.
But, as much as I like the Rice barrel, my .54 Colrain shoots one hole groups. I can't imagine the Rice shooting much better.
But for the money with the Rice barrel you get a finished product. With the Colrain there is a lot of cleaning up to do. Inside and out.
If you don't mind doing your own dovetail cutting I would check out Buckeye barrels and let Barbie Chambers quote you a price. I had a price list that Mr. Rice sent me but I can't quite remember where I put it. (Old age I guess)

I paid $215 last year for a 44" Dickert "C" profile. Looks like T.O.T.W. is tacking $60 on for good measure.

Nice barrel, though.

Hope L.C. doesn't get himself "swamped" and flame-out between T.O.T.W. and Chambers/Buckeye Barrels (Barbie) fronting his goods for him.

Nothing can ruin you like success.

I think the market is being tested to see what it will bear. TOW is charging more than Chambers, and Chambers more than LC used to. Still a 2 month wait on barrels so his orders haven't slowed down. Just plain supply and demand.

I like Rice barrels and will use them as long as I can afford to. The outside finish alone saves a couple of hours in finishing a rifle not to mention the ones I have used had a great breech plug fit. Also a savings of time.

I don't knock rice for getting every penny he can from his barrels. The thing I hate is that when a custom barrel gets in the $250 to $300 range and a lock alone is $125....it becomes a big deterent for potential custom gun owners. The jump between cutom and production prices is huge and hard to justify to some.

PD

my D profile 42" golden age .54 barrel was 225.00 with 6.00 shipping and got it in 9 weeks............bob

I got a price of $230 from Barbie yesterday for a 44" Dickert C profile. With the price of fuel going the way it is, the price of everything is going to rise.

Somehow, I thought Barbie from Buckeye Barrel Co. was the exclusive distributor of Rice barrels. Maybe TOTW is buying them from her? Kinda' makes sense if someone was buying a kit or a lot of rifle parts and wanted a Rice barrel too. Saves on shipping!

I don't pretend to know L.C. but after sitting in his seminar for a couple hours last month in Kempton, I don't get the impression that he's the kind of guy that would change with success. I'll bet he'll take your phone call and answer your question whwther you bought his 100th barrel or 10,000th.
Finn

a rice barrel IMO is worth every Penney that Barbie is selling them at.
however what track is asking is IMO very close to being over the top .
anyone who deals with TOW also knows that there is no such thing as next day shipping on locks , stock and especially barrels .
many times they dont even tell you they are out of stock . you better get used to asking . i have waited 9 months for main springs for L&R locks .
to use TOW reply when finally canceled and said I was calling L&R direct

Latest posts

Back