• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tower rifle and Wall rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Al1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Can someone tell me the difference between a tower rifle and the wall gun?Which one is the largest?The reason is I would like to build
a 95 caliber with a 1” bore..So would some please post..

Probably similar to the differences between flapjacks, hotcakes and pan cakes. It would depend on who is talking about it. The firearm would have a yoke to set in a stanchion to support the about 40 pound weight. For a tower gun, the stanchion would be installed in a tower. There would be stanchions around a walled fort or emplacement for a wall gun. Probably wouldn't be able to tell the two apart.

Here is a picture of ours mounted on its cart.

Note that there is no rear sight.

Most of the Long Range Muskets, which is the artillery term for the wall gun, or tower gun were most likely smooth bored. There are very few documented Long Range Muskets with rifled bores.

The Rifle Shoppe is the only place I am aware of that has parts to build a Long Range Musket.
Long Range Musket.JPG

Last edited:
There a company in a Georgia name that does a tower guns..So this the reason when I ask if the tower gun the same size as an wall gun.

The company veteranarms..I just e mail them to find out the size weight..Also is there a difference between the Tower gun and the Wall Gun?

The only Tower gun I see on Veteran Arms is the 1839 Tower Musket. This is a 75 caliber percussion lock with a Tower Stamp on the lock. Seems to be a percussion lock version of an East India Company Third Model Land Pattern Musket.
http://www.veteranarms.com/ReproductionMuzzleloadersandFlintlocks/1839-Tower.htmlThe Wall Gun or Long Range Musket will be 1.00" diameter bore and weigh 32 pounds and have a 54" barrel. Lots of differences.

Latest posts

Back