• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captgary

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ordered a Tulle kit from TOTW on monday,the order was shipped on tuesday and it all arrived today. Packaging was super and all parts look to be in good shape. After reading about the negative comments on some suppliers I just had to give TRACK a big :thumbsup: I will definatly order from them again....

Fusil-de-chasse kit, walnut stock, Colerain 20 ga barrel, iron furniture. Starting time for this project is 10 minutes from now :winking: :winking: Will post pics as project progresses and will most likely be asking a lot of questions.
Gary

That kit comes with a Davis lock right? How correct is that lock? I am trying to decide between the TOTW kit and the one offered by Pecatonica.

Got the 44 inch barrel it comes with a Davis lock. The lock needs a few cosmetic changes a little grinding on the back of the frizzen, a little grinding on the top jaw screw and the fancy final on the frizzen spring needs to be taken off. According to the pics in "The fusil de Tulle" she also needs 3 butt plate screws. I opted for Tracks kit cause it came with the 44' Colerain barrel and every thing was available, maybe $50 more total than Pecatonias kit.

Gary

Another choice you have is the Mold and Gun shop in Jackson Ohio. No web site but you can call and get a catalog Phone number is 740-286-2743. They have a small catalog. Larry Zornes is the owner. His locks are very correct. He has kits in type C, D, and Tulle. He makes, and markets the MG brand of locks. The L&R classic is a MG, and a lot of Tip Curtis' guns use them also. I've got two and I love them, they come tuned perfect6, no fiddeling necessary.

Bill

captgary said:
Ordered a Tulle kit from TOTW on monday,the order was shipped on tuesday and it all arrived today. Packaging was super and all parts look to be in good shape. After reading about the negative comments on some suppliers I just had to give TRACK a big :thumbsup: I will definatly order from them again....

Fusil-de-chasse kit, walnut stock, Colerain 20 ga barrel, iron furniture. Starting time for this project is 10 minutes from now :winking: :winking: Will post pics as project progresses and will most likely be asking a lot of questions.
Gary

I'm putting one of those together this week. Nice kit! :thumbsup:

I am worse than a rank amateur, but looking at the Mold and Gun shop Tulle lock, it looked very narrow and banana shaped compared to the original locks pictured in Hamilton's Colonial Frontier guns. The pictures in the catalog are very small, and I may be wrong though, anyone have any ideas on these locks?

Mike.
Im figuring a couple months your going to do it in a week???? Must be the difference between a rank amateur and a pro. Are you using 2 or 3 rod pipes, kit came with 2 all the pictures in my book show 3. The book also show 4 barrel pins and the kit came with 3. Trying to make this one as close to the original as possible.

Thanks Gary

The only locks that come close to a French fusil lock are the Davis which needs a little help and ithe L&R trade lock which would likely be a bit later in time than the first I have not seen a gun and mould shop lock but would be surprised if they were correct, I would like to see a close up pic of one, this is where most French guns and kits are way off like the C and D TOW locks.and the barrels should be at least 44"on these guns.

So I have a few more Tulle design questions. :confused:

1. Is fruitwood (cherry) an original wood? Don't see it in either book from TOTW. :bow:

2. Where the flat verticle sides of the comb meet the wrist extension what is the radius of the fillet and is it continuous from the front to the rear of the wrist extension? :bow:

3. I have read there is a widening of the sides of the buttstock toward the buttplate. Exactly where from front to back, how thick, and how long from front to back? Doesn't seem consistant in photos on the internet and book photos aren't good enough to show. :bow:

Enough for now, until I get a TOTW kit with the 44" Coltrain barrel.

Thanks,
Gary S.

Trot said:
I am worse than a rank amateur, but looking at the Mold and Gun shop Tulle lock, it looked very narrow and banana shaped compared to the original locks pictured in Hamilton's Colonial Frontier guns. The pictures in the catalog are very small, and I may be wrong though, anyone have any ideas on these locks?
Banana shaped locks are incorrect.

captgary said:
Mike.
Im figuring a couple months your going to do it in a week???? Must be the difference between a rank amateur and a pro. Are you using 2 or 3 rod pipes, kit came with 2 all the pictures in my book show 3. The book also show 4 barrel pins and the kit came with 3. Trying to make this one as close to the original as possible.

Thanks Gary
It should have two upper pipes and an entry pipe.
The originals have 4 barrel pins. This kit came to me with three lugs already soldered on the barrel, so that's what it will have.
You need tou use a different sideplate too, just saw one out of sheet steel and you'll be set.

tg said:
The only locks that come close to a French fusil lock are the Davis which needs a little help and ithe L&R trade lock which would likely be a bit later in time than the first I have not seen a gun and mould shop lock but would be surprised if they were correct, I would like to see a close up pic of one, this is where most French guns and kits are way off like the C and D TOW locks.and the barrels should be at least 44"on these guns.

The mold & gunshop are making the "C" and "D" locks that TOTW are selling. Same same.

Gary S said:
So I have a few more Tulle design questions. :confused:

1. Is fruitwood (cherry) an original wood? Don't see it in either book from TOTW. :bow:

2. Where the flat verticle sides of the comb meet the wrist extension what is the radius of the fillet and is it continuous from the front to the rear of the wrist extension? :bow:

3. I have read there is a widening of the sides of the buttstock toward the buttplate. Exactly where from front to back, how thick, and how long from front to back? Doesn't seem consistant in photos on the internet and book photos aren't good enough to show. :bow:

Enough for now, until I get a TOTW kit with the 44" Coltrain barrel.

Thanks,
Gary S.

1) The originals were stocked in EWuro walnut. American black is a good substitue in todays world, most folks can't tell the difference once the gun is finished. In reality, Euro walnut blanks only cost $25 to $50 more than black walnut these days.
2) If you'll look at hailton's book, that area is handled a couple ways. Some come down flat with a radius, another has an acual groove at the junction and another as a sharp angle. Seems it depended on the individual stocker.
3) I saw mention of this on a website sometime ago. I feel it's a bunch of BS. That feature suggests lazy stocking methods, not an 18the century norm. I've yet to see an original 18th century french or english fowler that swells back out from the buttplate.

"You need tou use a different sideplate too, just saw one out of sheet steel and you'll be set."

My TOW parts set came with a side plate identical to the one on page 33 or Bouchards book The tg and buttplate match the ones in the sketches there as well circa 1730

". This kit came to me with three lugs already soldered on the barrel, so that's what it will have'

That is interesting, mine were not installed yet which suited me fine, I wonder if they have changed the set up a little since I got mine, I suspect the barrel is still oct to round? I added a short section of 16 flats before the band.

The fella I'm putting this together for probably had TOTW solder on the lugs for him. The barrel is a stock Colerain, nothing unusual.

Back