• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade Gun Cottontail

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwiliff

40 Cal.
Reaction score

Took the trade gun for a walk today and got this rabbit. Also saw fresh lion tracks, fresh javelina tracks, a couple bull elk, and fresh deer tracks.

Good time.

Warmest Regards,
Robert

Congratulations!
I love hunting rabbits and squirrels. I have a Trade gun kit on order from North Star West and it should be here soon but our small game season will be closed before I get it finished. I'm looking forward to using it next year.
Thanks for sharing.

There are at least TWO wonderful things about "Peter Rabbit" & his thousands of "close friends":

1. They are GREAT TASTING, most any way that you fix them.
and
2. They are VERY numerous in most areas, so you can fill the deep-freeze without worrying about "depleting the supply".
(That's why it is said, "They breed like rabbits.")

GOOD HUNTING, satx

That's doing it right. Something special about rabbits and black powder. Then again, black powder makes everything special. Good job. Nice looking gun.

Thanks to all for their kind responses. The nice looking gun is a North Star West.

Warmest Regards,
Robert

I'm always glad to see posts about small game, the big game gets more than a fair share of the attention. Thanks, Robert, neat gear, neat hunt.

Spence

Here in TX, there is NO bag limit, NO closed season BUT we usually (due to worry about contracting "rabbit fever") hunt them, in northeast TX, only after the first hard frost of the year.

Fwiw, my 1st cousin, some years ago, took 22 cottontails & "swampies" in ONE afternoon with his .40 caliber TN Pore Boy.
(Like I said, both varieties of rabbits are REALLY numerous here. = My sister one fall evening counted over 40 between the front gate & our farmhouse.)

yours, satx

Dragging cottontails out of the woods is much easier than dealing with deer or elk. Just stuff them into a flour sack and tuck it into your belt.

My load will probably raise some eyebrows. 70 grains of ffg, a hard card, slather the end of the muzzle with a bit of lube, a dry fiber wad, then an ounce and a half of BB shot, followed by a thin card, prime from the horn.

Rabbits are unprotected here in NM. This spring they were all over the place, but forces of nature have really thinned them down.

Spence, you have been an inspiration to me since the mid nineties.

Warmest Regards,
Robert

Nice going. We mostly have Snowshoe Hares here, with the Cottontail population just starting to establish. fyi- cottontail is much better eating IMHO

Robert, Thank you for your post and photograph. When I was growing up in North Central Indiana, in the late 50's and early 60's, there were not many deer, I was 21 when I saw my first doe in the wild, and no turkeys to hunt, so small game was the only game. I am certain that I have eaten my own weight in rabbits and squirrels. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back