• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Hunters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
CHRISTIAN BERG
The (Allentown) Morning Call

ALLENTOWN, Pa. - It's been almost 40 years since Dave Ehrig was bitten by the muzzleloading bug.

Since then, Ehrig has toted single-shot rifles across North America in pursuit of deer, caribou, elk, bear, turkey and other game species, with several record-book trophies to his credit.

Ehrig's experiences and expertise have established him as one of the nation's leading muzzleloading authorities. The Berks County resident has written six books on the subject and is a regular speaker at outdoor shows across the nation.

Despite his many accomplishments, Ehrig knows muzzleloader hunting is about the thrill of the chase, not the size of the trophy. That's why he recently helped the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association create a new program that recognizes all successful hunters, whether they bag a yearling doe or monster buck.

"When somebody shoots Mr. Colossal, it just takes on a life of its own," Ehrig said. "What we're looking at is the guys who have been overlooked for years."

The Longhunter Recognition Program is open to hunters who pursue North American big game or wild turkeys with any muzzleloading weapon, from Colonial-era flintlocks to scoped, inline rifles. For a $10 fee, successful hunters will receive a parchment certificate and species-specific, pewter pin memorializing their accomplishment in the field.

"It tells the world that they were willing to take on the challenge of hunting game like our ancestors did," Ehrig said. "It's a badge of honor."

The concept for the Longhunter Recognition Program was developed this summer after Ehrig, of Longswamp Township, was named chairman of the NMLRA's Longhunter Committee, which administers the group's Longhunter Muzzleloading Big Game Records Program.

Established in 1988, the records program keeps track of trophy big-game animals taken with muzzleloaders across North America. The program uses the same scoring system as the well-known Boone and Crockett Club, but minimum scores required for inclusion in the Longhunter record book are slightly lower because of the added challenge of hunting with a muzzleloader - a single-shot firearm that must be manually reloaded after each shot by putting gunpowder and a bullet down the barrel.

Although Ehrig personally has three Longhunter record-book entries, he wanted to do something that would have wider appeal and celebrate the muzzleloading tradition. After all, he said, most muzzleloading enthusiasts will never have the opportunity to chase Dall sheep in Alaska or caribou in the Yukon Territory.

"We just want to honor guys who are willing to accept the handicap of hunting with a single-shot weapon," Ehrig said. "We're paying attention to all hunters, not just trophy hunters."

The Longhunter Recognition Program should also boost the profile of the NMLRA, which has 22,000 dues-paying members nationwide. By contrast, there are more than 200,000 muzzleloader hunters in Pennsylvania alone and about 3 million nationwide. Photos of hunters who participate in the Longhunter Recognition Program will be featured in Muzzle Blasts, the NMLRA's monthly magazine.

Including wild turkeys in the program is another attempt to increase participation and provide a much-needed outlet for turkey hunters. Because there is no standard for scoring turkey trophies, turkey-hunting records aren't kept by Boone and Crockett, Pope & Young, or Safari Club International.

In addition to the certificate and pin provided to successful turkey hunters, the Longhunter Recognition Program will offer special, laser-engraved plaques to dedicated turkey hunters who use a muzzleloader to take three or more of the five wild turkey subspecies found in the continental United States: Eastern, Osceola, Rio Grande, Merriam's and Gould's.

"It's not easy killing any wild turkey with a muzzleloader," Ehrig said. "It won't be in the Longhunter Big Game Record Book, because there is no scoring system. But in its own way, it will be just as prestigious."

Although the program is brand new, Ehrig said trophies taken in previous years are eligible for recognition. All hunters have to do to qualify is submit a photograph showing them and their muzzleloading weapon with the animal they took.

"If they have a mounted species and they want to take a picture of it with them and the gun, that's fine too," Ehrig said. "We're accepting a hunter's word as their bond because I think, as a group, hunters are pretty trustworthy."

Now that the Longhunter Recognition Program is up and running, Ehrig said the biggest challenge is simply letting hunters know it exists.

The program made its public debut in October during the North American Deer Classic at Cabela's in Berks County, and NMLRA officials plan to promote the program further at future outdoor shows nationwide and the annual conventions of organizations such as the National Rifle Association, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and National Wild Turkey Federation.

"Everywhere sportsmen gather," Ehrig said, "there will be visibility."

This sound sooo good to me. Although I still feel like the Boone and Crocket should be devoted to ML. this is still good news.

Where can I find out more about this? I have a deer mounted that I took with a sidelock a while back. If anyone gets the chance they need to try and get Dave Ehrig movie Blackpowder Whitetails.
It's a great movie for all blackpowder hunters and shooters.

Longhunter Recognition Program? :bull:

"It tells the world that they were willing to take on the challenge of hunting game like our ancestors did," Ehrig said. "It's a badge of honor."

Yep... because we all know that our ancestors took on the challenge of hunting game with stainless steel, scoped, plastic-stocked rifles loaded with powder pellets, plastic-wrapped copper jacketed handgun bullets and 209 shotgun primers... :shake:

I have boatloads of respect for Ehrig... he has obviously done a stupendous amount of good for the muzzleloading community. Coupling modern inlines into a "Longhunter Recognition Program" just doesn't seem right to me. If it's just about shooting game with a single-shot rifle, why not include rolling blocks, Sharps rifles, and even Ruger No. 1's?

:hmm:

I suppose it's good to have the recognition. Anything getting muzzleloading out in the public's eye. But, I don't need a $10 piece of paper to tell me I done good.

I can post here for free. :rotf:

Does the "parchment certificate" say:

For meritouriously leaving the brass cartridge behind and taking game with an otherwise modern firearm and killing said game with but a single shot (which is what you are supposed to do with ANY weapon, anyway).

StaticXD00d said:
Longhunter Recognition Program? :bull:

Yep... because we all know that our ancestors took on the challenge of hunting game with stainless steel, scoped, plastic-stocked rifles loaded with powder pellets, plastic-wrapped copper jacketed handgun bullets and 209 shotgun primers... :shake:

I have boatloads of respect for Ehrig... he has obviously done a stupendous amount of good for the muzzleloading community. Coupling modern inlines into a "Longhunter Recognition Program" just doesn't seem right to me. If it's just about shooting game with a single-shot rifle, why not include rolling blocks, Sharps rifles, and even Ruger No. 1's?

:hmm:

You beat me to it...I have the same issue.

The recognition program is a great idea of course, right up to the point where they include modern, plastic stocked, scoped inlines, yadda, yadda, yadda...it just tarnishes the name and image of "Long Hunter" to me, and trivializes the study and learning involved to put away the modern equipment and go get one up close and personal with a flintlock.

Most magnicificant looking, large sized mature buck I had ever taken until this year was a big bodied, big racked 8 pointer at 165yds with a modern ML several years ago.....but every buck taken with a Flintlock since then has been far more of an accomplishment.

Bet there was a nice incentive package for those quotes he made...

I think his heart is in the right place but what does the $10 really get you? Nothing in my opinion.

I have to agree with a lot that was already said. By allowing inline weapons in the program it's not really saying snything of the ability of the hunter who made the kill.

There is a huge difference between someone taking a fine buck from 250 yards with a scoped inline while perched 30 feet up in a treestand opposed to someone taking that same buck from 25 yards with a flintlock from the ground.

Just my two cents worth.

Huntin Dawg

$10 doen't seem to much. I agree letting in all the plastic and scopes seems a bit to much. The cost for the cert. and a game specific pewter pin and all the recognition of muzzleloading that will be visible would make the $10 seem reasonable to me. Think of the postage.
Come on guys anything that keeping muzzleloading in the lime light will give us all benefits in the long run. How many of you know plastic shooters that have converted to rocklocks or sidelocks. Around here I would guess that 80% or better become converts to traditional with in a year. The rest in 2 years.
Happy New Year
Fox :thumbsup:

I do agree with every one here. Mostly with just getting the ML recognition that we need to help keep our sport alive.

I do have to disagree with inlines and scopes ( this is not my style) but lets face it. If anyone especialy a kid will pick up an inline and get into the sport, then one day change his mind and find that traditional is the way to go then we have one more in our ranks. I see inlines as an easier way to get into traditional ML (of a sorts).

The $10.00 price tag sound like cooprate america trying to cash in alittle. The only peice of paper I need is the white paper my venison is wrapped in.

But the over all picture is the one I think we need to look at. Having the recognition for out sport is a vital way to keep it alive and growing. I think in this time when we see that the majority of ML sold are inlines, the ability to show (nationaly) other hunters and shooters; adult and children,that there is another option. It is forseeable that traditional ML will also grow. Now isnt that what we all want, and should try to help.

Just a thought :yakyak:

This is a general thought, not intended as a direct reply to anyone:

I think this $10 campaign it's nothing more than a NMLRA money making scheme.

Personally, I'd rather spend that money trying to help the TMA get started than throw more money away on another NMLRA fund raiser.

Or if not the TMA, then to buy patch & ball to teach a local to shoot muzzleloaders up at my range...

:v to all...

Notice how Claude started this without adding comment or motive. :haha:

I think maybe we need a sub-forum in the Traditional Hunting category for "The Order of the Sidelock", where any successful traditional muzzleloading hunter can come for a chance to be recognized with and by their peers.

Maybe we can have a downloadable certificate you can print on the parchment of your choice. And, "success" can be defined any way you like. I'm sure I can find pewter pins somewhere. I just got a dandy whitetail one for re-upping my subscription to Traditional Bowhunter. :haha:

wtpinlarge.jpg

Which, for those so inclined, can be purchased at this site for $5.75 plus $1.50 postage. (Number 468 on page 5 under "mammals") Everything from gorillas to hedgehogs.
[url] http://www.wildlifepewterpins.com/available.htm[/url]

They got five pages of just dogs! :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stumpkiller said:
Notice how Claude started this without adding comment or motive.
Noticed it right off...like pulling the pin on a hand grenade and tossing into a conference room
:rotf:

I just sent an e-mail asking if I could get a discount for members. :haha: They also have smaller tie-tacks for $2.85 :grin:

Now all we need is the certificates. :winking:

We can do a "sticky" post in the Trad Hunting forum to keep a short "hero" gallery and/or memo board.

Charlie,

I would be interested in your suggestion.

Pin 468 is a 10 point Whitetail head. A very nice pin.

I would be willing to discount any order by 10% for a member of your organization.

The only method I would have to offer a discount through the web site though is to have the buyer send a follow up email to their online order stating that they are a member of[url] www.muzzleloadingforum.com[/url]. I will then refund them their 10% discount of their purchase price.

Let me know if you think this will work. It would be best if I could follow up to verify their name or member # through your site.

If you’d like to discuss this feel free to call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx

There you go. Use your member name and number so we can verify it and the pins are $5.18 with $1.50 shipping - Muzzleloading Forum members only. :hatsoff: You'll have to adjust the balance on the on-line order system he used (Pay-Pal or Charge Card.

Wildlife Pewter Pins [[email protected]]

Note: I do have two of his pins through Trad. Bowhunter and they are nicely done. I would not have gone here and done this otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you all. I can shoot a deer at 200 + with a inline. I have said this before it is a rifle without the brass case.
I think they are missing the point of the muzzleloaders and this form.
I run a NWTF blackpowder shoot for kids and I use only sidelocks and flint and they love it.
Take a kid hunting and you will not have to hunt for your kid.

roundball said:
This is a general thought, not intended as a direct reply to anyone:

I think this $10 campaign it's nothing more than a NMLRA money making scheme.

Personally, I'd rather spend that money trying to help the TMA get started than throw more money away on another NMLRA fund raiser.

Or if not the TMA, then to buy patch & ball to teach a local to shoot muzzleloaders up at my range...

:v to all...
On the money roundball!! :thumbsup:
While I embrace all aspects of the shooting world, don't even try to tell me that a guy with a in-line gun,4 to 12x scope and 300yd capabilty deserves the same recoginization as a guy with 75 to maybe 100 yd, iorn sighted Hawken or whatever. :bull: Spend your time and money elsewhere. Ya can't convert anybody inless you expose them ta the real thing.

roundball said:
Stumpkiller said:
Noticed it right off...like pulling the pin on a hand grenade and tossing into a conference room

:rotf: Hilarious!

For the record, let me state that I have no problem with the inline muzzleloader itself. It's just another gun, and I agree that if it helps bring more folks into the fold, it's not all bad. The only issue I have, as others have stated, is with lumping them in with the use of the term "traditional" and "longhunter". Taking game with one is just not the same as taking game with a fixed, iron-sighted sidelock that weighs in the neighborhood of 9lbs throwing PRB or even a big, heavy conical. Kinda like lumping slingshots in with crossbows.

StaticXD00d said:
roundball said:
Stumpkiller said:

:rotf: Hilarious!

For the record, let me state that I have no problem with the inline muzzleloader itself. It's just another gun, and I agree that if it helps bring more folks into the fold, it's not all bad. The only issue I have, as others have stated, is with lumping them in with the use of the term "traditional" and "longhunter". Taking game with one is just not the same as taking game with a fixed, iron-sighted sidelock that weighs in the neighborhood of 9lbs throwing PRB or even a big, heavy conical. Kinda like lumping slingshots in with crossbows.

Or F15 Strike Eagles against WWII P51 Mustangs

Are we being baited/tested so Claude can try the new banning policy?? I could make this one hot enough to fry an egg on in Janurary.

tg said:
Are we being baited/tested so Claude can try the new banning policy?? I could make this one hot enough to fry an egg on in Janurary.
That may be it TG...he's sort of gone underground from the time he posted this hasn't he.

Probably sitting in a Forum Command Center set up with a half dozen monitors around him in a semi-circle displaying each post in this thread simultaneously, fingers poised over "ban buttons"...(and all the while wearing his tri-corner hat, muttering "we don't need no stinking inlines in the Long Hunters Book")
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Back