• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Patched Ball Hunters: Rifle or Smoothbore this fall?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both.
Rifles for squirrel and deer.
Smoothbore for deer and, with shot, rabbits.

Well, I see a mix of replies regarding PRB, AND shot loads, AND archery equipment scattered through the 3 polls...but the 3 polls were actually entitled and aimed at "Traditional PRB (Patched Round Ball) Hunters"...

:grin:

Well my 20 gauge SB flinter is ready for deer but then again I've a sweet little .45 underhammer rifle who's been crying to be taken out. Then there is that big .58 underhammer whose construction is nearly complete...so many to choose from and Illinois has such abbreviated gun and BP seasons...

Snow

Well, I see a mix of replies regarding PRB, AND shot loads, AND archery equipment scattered through the 3 polls...but the 3 polls were actually entitled and aimed at "Traditional PRB (Patched Round Ball) Hunters"...

The forum members are just soooo willing to talk about hunting and share information that you got a little extra for free. I believe most everyone who said "both" meant "both PLUS other stuff". You shoulda had "both" as an option on your polls... :hmm: well, except the caliber poll... maybe... Like I said, I might even tote 2 of 'em. :idunno:

rifle. would use a smoothbore too but cant use what u aint got yet. but its ordered being built now. cant wait to see what she will do on a longbeard next spring.

Actually, I plan on breaking in the .54 Jäger this year but I also drew a permit for a "Controlled Hunt"area on Water Company land close to home. It's shotgun only ,so I hope to use the .62 smoothbore.
The way I see it, if one can use a scoped 12ga, rifled barrel, shooting the latest sabots on that land, no reason I can't use the smoothbore with a flint. :haha:

I'll just be using the rifle, 'caus that's all I have at the moment. But, I'm going to use the flinter all season, even in the regular modern rifle season. The .308 is stayin home. :thumbsup:

AS OF 09/18/10, SUMMARY OF THE THREE POLLS ABOUT PLANS FOR PRB HUNTING THIS FALL:

Flintlocks = 65%
Caplocks = 35%

Rifle = 84%
Smoothbore = 15%

54cal = 37%
50cal = 29%
58cal = 12%
45cal = 12%
62cal = 9%

Back