• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Crockett kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fallen Timbers

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first time posting on this topic. I enjoy percussion black powder rifles. I shoot a .50 cal. New Englander.
Here is my question. I'm considering purchasing a kit for the Traditions .32 cal. Crockett rifle. This would be my first kit. Has anyone ever put this kit together or another Traditions kit? I'm considering browning the barrel and lock? Would this be difficult? Is bluing a barrel difficult?
Thanks for any feedback.

The little .32 Crockett is a very good rifle. These kits are not so difficult that a home hobbyist can't do a good job.

I just helped the neighbor guy complete the traditions crocket kit its pretty much a screw together kit with some final finishing to make it look better and sanding, and of course the barrel and lock. His lock came case harden already but he didn't like the look so we took the lock apart and sand blasted it, the lock and barrel were browned in laurel mountain browning solution which is easy lightly coat the parts and let then sit, rinse, scale, reapply until you get the color you want, rinse and neutralize with baking soda heat with torch, oil and let sit and whip off oil and your done. Of course we each have a way we prefer doing it that's my style.

I bought the kentucky rifle kit....and if the crockett kits are anything like mine ..your better buying one they put together and refinishing it ...my kit was a disaster...trigger guard inletting was too long, had to much wood removed....trigger guard to wide for what had been inletted. Cracked forend piece...oh yeah and best of all, it cost me 400 $ and i had to pay to ship it back foranother.....but they did reimburse me.

The Tradition kits are fairly easy to put together...I put together a few in my day. The barrel and lock are easy enough to brown, you can do this with 2 Talls method, or you can use Birchwood Casey Plum brown...which is my method..simply heat the metal parts in an oven for about 15 minutes on 275 degrees ( or follow directions on the bottle) pull hot metal parts out of the oven ( using a hot mit) and wipe down metal with B/C Plumb brown, you will want the solution to " Sizzle" as you wipe it on ...get the desired brown you want, then, after the part has cooled you can wipe the part down with a rough paper towel or a 0000 steel wool, this is called " carding" Give the pieces a few days, then mix up a little baking soda with a little water to form a paste and rub metal down to neutralize. Thats how I brown.You'll see different methods on here, but this one works well for me.

Well I put the kit together and its been in the woods now about 3-4 yrs. If I can do it anyone should be able to. I used a cold blue kit I got at a sporting goods store think it was about $17. It's a great little gun and fun to shoot you won't regret it.

Thanks to all for the advice and insights you gave me. Now I have an idea what a Traditions kit is like to put together. I now have advice to go on if I decide to put one together.

I did a traditions Kentucky pistol and it went well. Fun kit and my first (and only) build. :)

Back