• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Deerhunter .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfmoviereplicas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This was my first blackpowder rifle and was a gift for my 13th birthday. Many years later and many different and higher dollar rifles later it is still my favorite by far. Does anyone else have this model and what is their opinions of it. I know its an inexpensive entry level and wondering if my opinion is based on emotion. Hoping to get the barrel reblued within the next year or two since as a kid it takes some time to learn proper firearm care and it has recieved some abuse over the years.

I have it in a 32 cal and like it allot. Before that I had a CVA Frontier carbine .50 which was very similar and since they used to get the parts from the same place it was basically the same. It was my first kit gun and was a tack driver so to speak. I really hate the term tack driver though because it is abused allot. Anyway I sold it to someone and I knew I would regret it because the guy never took care of things very well. He was a friend and kept hounding me until I gave in and he later did exactly what I thought he would. He shot it and parked it for 6 mo. without cleaning it. Another friend bought it from him and was going to refinish it but I lost track.

I have one in percussion that I bought in 2000 and now I have one in flintlock. The one in percussion I reworked the stock a while back to make it look a little more tradional.

It is a very handy little rifle. Light weight and a pleasure to carry while hunting. Good brush gun too.

We had some pretty nice rifles, TC Hawken, CVA optima and several others to name a few and I was always teased because I brought out the Traditions Deerhunter and not one of the, as they call it "Nice" rifles rather than my old cheap junk rifle. Even once I was able to outshoot the others with my deerhunter with the old brass blade site that I have spent a lot of time bending and filing the brass blade until I can fire it spot on and was about to outshoot them with their fancy inline blackpowders with scopes. Guess that goes to prove you dont have to spend a fortune to have a great gun. The ONLY thing I didnt like about the rifle but after using it for 17 years now I dont notice it anymore was the flat cut on the bottom of the stock. I did not like the way my hand grip was around it and wanted to round it off but dont think I could bring myself to do it now and have no plans on refinishing the stock or taking out any of the nicks and scratches ever, just want to refinish the barrel for protection.

but do they make a flash directing cup that could be added on because I have fired the gun so many times that it has actually burnt out a part of the stock near the hammer plate from the caps going off.

Rather than rebluing your barrel you might want to consider browning it.
Cold bluing usually looks like manure and it is not a durable finish.

The browning is very traditional looking and will give the surface a soft non-reflective look.

Cold browning is easy to do if you have access to an area where the humidity is high.
It is a rust process which requires removing the existing bluing by sanding it off.
Here is a link to the process if your interested:
http://www.laurelmountainforge.com/barrel_brown_inst.htm

The Laurel Mountain solution is very inexpensive and the finish is tougher than owl scat.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/388/1

By the way, the Birchwood Casey Plum Brown works well for small parts but it is very hard to get a uniform even coating even after several applications. It is a hot process and gives off a lot of fumes.
I do not recommend it for large items like gun barrels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had one for over 20 years and it has killed more than it's share of deer. I'm in the process of "refinishing" the stock so it'll probably never look as good as it did originally :shake: .

Cheap, maybe, but extremely durable, accurate and serviceable without a doubt. I don't aim to let mine go...ever.

My first ever deer was taken with this rifle.
I was with my dad at the time and of course he missed it and it was a very awkward shot at a running deer about 20 feet away directly behind me and I was leaning against a tree. I took the shot and honestly thought I missed it. Got up to take a look and no doubt I hit it. The deer ran about another 50 ft. and wedged its self between two trees with its butt in the air. The shot was so perfect it looked like I took a hole puncher to the deer. from that moment foward I have been hooked on blackpowder guns and find it hard to get rid of this one because I took my first deer with it.

Have the flinter version and love it. If I ever find a good enough price on another one with a wooden stock it will get a long octagonal to tapered round smooth bore barrel and sling put on it for a very light weight all around do it all hunting piece.

Back