• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Deerhunter Front Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punky Hollow

32 Cal
Reaction score
A few years ago I sold off my TC Renegade for a Traditions Deerhunter just because of the reduced weight of the latter. The Deerhunter is easy to carry and has great ignition, what I don't like is the factory sights. There seems to be a number of available options for the rear sight but the front is another story. The sight needs to be screwed onto the octagon barrel as there is no dovetail and the only option I can see is a sight set made by RMC. Just wondered if anyone was aware of other screw on front sights or if they had any experience with the RMC Aim-Right V-Peep Sights.

I have the RMC sight and it is very good. Durable, visible and correct proportion for their Open V peep rear sight. I do not know of others that are an instant fit, but you can readily cut a dovetail and use one of the nice XS white stripe front sights.

After doing a lot of looking to see what's available out there, I believe that those are my 2 options, either go with the RMC sight or cut a dovetail. I have a Williams ghost ring without the base that looks really nice and I'm wondering how the RMC rear sight looks in comparison. The only place I've seen the RMC is in pictures on the internet and it's kind of hard to get an idea of what the sight picture looks like. From everything I've read, the RMC seems to be highly regarded.

If you go the dovetail route go slowly. I cut my first dove tails ever for the barrel tennons on my squirrel rifle (the other builds I've done, the dove tails were already cut by the barrel maker)and although they turned out OK, I had to tweak them a little with a center punch to tighten them up so the tennons wouldn't move around. For a tennon this isn't much of an issue as they get hidden under the stock, but on a sight, you don't want to have punch marks showing. So go slowly and test fit often.

Back