• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Deerhunter - is it worth attempting to improve it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftHandGuy

36 Cl.
Reaction score
So my first flintlock - bought during 2016.

Traditions Deerhunter left handed.

Has the wooden stock, rubber buttpad, Williams Fibreoptic sights, plastic ramrod etc

flintlock.jpg

Sorry about the picture - it's the only thing I have with it in and I had to crop-out all the verboten items....

It has some things I like and some I don't

I like the size and weight, and the trigger is OK. I like how easily the barrel can be removed for cleaning. And I really like that it is left handed.

I don't like the anachronisms (rubber, plastic, and especially the sights), and the lock isn't very good.

I didn't realize how bad the lock was until I got lent a friends Miroku Brown Bess. Despite being right in my face, the full size military lock is significantly more reliable (even though my shooting with it might charitably be described as "variable")

So all that is to say - is it worth trying to make the Traditions rifle into something I really like, or should I just buy something better? I particularly would like to change the sights, but they seem to be screwed rather than dovetailed, and I am far from sure I have the ability to cut dovetails of my own....

My opinion, get something better. The Traditions gun probably served its purpose as a starter muzzle loader. Time to trade up to a Lyman GPR or something similar. Worlds better in quality.

My opinion, get something better. The Traditions gun probably served its purpose as a starter muzzle loader. Time to trade up to a Lyman GPR or something similar. Worlds better in quality.

Yeah - you're probably right! Of course what I really (really) want is a fantasy rifle that doesn't exist and I can't afford - but would be a Pattern 1776 Rifle mirror imaged to be truly left-handed.

I would make do with a LH Baker for which TRS offer a kit, although I don't have the cash for the kit, much less to get someone who knows what they're doing to put it together for me.

Lyman is a realistic enough option that I might actually be able to make that happen!

I built and shot a Deerhunter percussion gun and found it to be very accurate and a delight to carry for an old guy. :) that rifle has moved on to a grandson and he has always placed in the top 3 and often #1 when shooting it in competitions.

If the sights are dove tailed (as were mine), that would be an easy fix. The butt plate could be tricky since you would need to find one very close to the butt measurements of the rifle. One approach to the butt plate is to cut the butt in to the desired profile poor boy style and then fit a flat piece of brass to it. You could also fit a separate piece as an extension on the top. The thing to consider is how much you would reduce the length of pull by removing the butt plate and and any cutting you might do.

Unless you like doing that kind of thing it might be just as well to change to another traditions gun or a Lyman. Maybe a used TC. None of these things will fix the lock!

There are replacement sights readily available. An RPL lock from L&R will make it a little more reliable with a lot more spark. If it had good metal sights and fired quickly would you like it any better? The rubber pad is glued on. Peel it off and make a leather one or fit a metal buttplate. I think there are plenty of things you can do. The lock is probably the price of the rifle if you use an RPL. But in the end, it would be a pleasure to carry and shoot and worth exactly what you have in it.

There are replacement sights readily available. An RPL lock from L&R will make it a little more reliable with a lot more spark. If it had good metal sights and fired quickly would you like it any better? The rubber pad is glued on. Peel it off and make a leather one or fit a metal buttplate. I think there are plenty of things you can do. The lock is probably the price of the rifle if you use an RPL. But in the end, it would be a pleasure to carry and shoot and worth exactly what you have in it.

Thanks - you wouldn't happen to have any links for the locks you're suggesting would you? Or even sights?

I like the idea of the replacing the rubber pad with leather. That is legitimately something I could do myself.

The thing that defeats me with the sights is the front post being screw attached. The rear I could (and might) try and get away with using a (Obviously anachronistic) Skinner lo-pro, but that would mean I would have to have some windage adjustment off the front....

There ARE good replacement sights available. Check out RMC Sports for replacement sights. I have a set on mine and love them. Williams offers a dizzying array of options. I own a percussion Deerhunter and would not trade it for the world. I friend has a flint .32 Deerhunter and as far I know he has had good success with his (I don't get to see him very often). There is nothing wrong with the Deerhunters, flint or percussion. They make perfect lightweight hunting carbines.

You can cut a dovetail with a file very easily on that barrel. Also, Williams, RMC-OxYoke and Skinner have sights, among others. Brownell's shows several front sights with a screw hole. All you need to do is make the base the right thickness and use the existing screw. A Ruger 77 front sight uses one screw and can be adapted readily.

You can cut a dovetail with a file very easily on that barrel. Also, Williams, RMC-OxYoke and Skinner have sights, among others. Brownell's shows several front sights with a screw hole. All you need to do is make the base the right thickness and use the existing screw. A Ruger 77 front sight uses one screw and can be adapted readily.

Interesting - I'm sure you're correct about it being "easy" to cut a dovetail. Maybe I'll have the guts to try it after this year's hunting season! About this time last year I was seriously giving thought to these:

https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/rmc-aim-right-closed-peep-sights/
I put a Skinner on one of my modern rifles and I love it, indeed took my first whitetail with it, so would be happy to put one on my flintlock...

My flinter Deerhunter almost never fails to go bang.
Got it a longer smooth bore barrel as an addition to the rifled one.

Oh, by the way, I also have one of Deerhunter rifles that the factory painted the wooden stock black.
Stuck a clamp on it that fits the octagonal barrel (it clears the ram rod) for a pistol scope.
Now that's my "scary black rifle".
:ghostly:

My Deerhunter is a 32. Fun little gun to shoot. Really no one can tell you which way to go. Of coarse it is not worth it $ wise but is it worth it to you is the question. Being it is left handed, they are a little harder to come by but still doable. Maybe there are things you can do to to the lock to improve it. Everything else is certainly doable.

By the way I converted a CVA Kentucky to flint. Was it worth it? No. Do I regret it? no, it was a learning experience and I enjoyed doing it.

So my first flintlock - bought during 2016.

So all that is to say - is it worth trying to make the Traditions rifle into something I really like, or should I just buy something better? I particularly would like to change the sights, but they seem to be screwed rather than dovetailed, and I am far from sure I have the ability to cut dovetails of my own....
Big question......
Do you still enjoy having this gun and shooting it?
Does it still hold fond memories for you?
Yes, it is nice to have better and more reliable firearms but there is no negative side to have one that still makes you happy - at any price it's a good one.

I owned, fired and killed deer with a Traditions DeerHunter for well over 20 years even though I had a couple other rifles I rotated during the season. I got mine around 1991 and it had a wood rod and dovetailed sights. While mine was percussion I have to say that the basic rifle is quite good and it's accurate. It was so nice and handy in the woods that when I finally traded it for another rifle, it was for a hand built rifle of the same size. Traditions barrels are very good barrels.

If you like the rifle then it's worth a bit of customizing. The rifles concept is a good one.

Improve on it? No matter what you do to a turd, it's still a turd. Traditions caplocks are OK, but their flinters (in my experience) suck. My suggestion is remove the ramrod and slide a new gun into it, then replace the ramrod the first chance you get.

Latest posts

Back