• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hupper

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone have any comments on this rifle? Who is it made by? I can buy a new one for $209. At this point in time T/C or GPR is out of my price range. How does the Traditions stack up to the Cabela's Hawken? Thanks for any information.

LYMAN GREAT PLAINS .54 CAL PERCUSSION RIGHT HAND RIFLE COMPLETE GUN
Item: Status: Price:
015-6031103 In Stock $321.56
This is from midsouth shooters supply.
Save up a few more dollars and you can get a GPR. I just got mine and shipping was less than $7.

Happy shopping

Huntin

I would either save for the GPR or buy the Cabela's Traditional Hawken. It is made by the same company(Investarms) that makes the GPR. They are a good shooting rifle.

Several members of my 4h sooting sports club have used Tradtions Hawkens with good results

Hi,

I have a Traditions Woodsman Hawken rifle. It's a nice rifle for the money.

The only time I ever had any trouble with it was when I tried some of that fake black powder (Pyrodex). Went back to Goex, and the misfires went away.

Mike

A couple of weeks ago D and R Sports in Pa was selling the GPR in kit form for $236 plus shipping. A hell of a deal.

I agree with rebel on the Cabela's hawken. I personally own
3 of them in both .50 and .54. I also purchased one of Green
Mountain IBS barrels in .45cal. With just some minor under
rib adjustments it works very well in the investarms
hawken.(probably the best shooting rifle i own)
I am snake-eyes

Hupper,
I also have a Traditions Crockett small game rifle
in .32 cal(these are made in Spain by the way) and it to
is a very nice shooting rifle.
Again i am snake-eyes

Hi Hupper,

I've got both a Traditions Hawken and a T/C Renegade. The fit/finish on the Renegade is definitely nicer. The T/C lock is definitely of better quality. But... the Traditions rifle shoots PRB like a house afire - 3 shots at 50 yards into one ragged hole. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this rifle in terms of functionality. And in my opinion it has better sights for hunting than those of the Renegade.

Also, T/C uses a cone-shaped breach as opposed to just a square-ended breach in the Traditions. I've had lots of misfires in the T/C because of accumulation of fouling in the breach cone. On the other hand, the only time the Traditions has failed to fire is when I forgot that one magical ingredient - powder! :redface: :haha:

I looked at a couple of Crocket rifles last week. Overall, I was a little disappointed with the way the guns looked - they just looked a little cheap, but heck for $280 what should I expect. I was also suprised at the variation in wood. One of the guns looked like it came out of a high school shop class and made out of a 2x4. The other was not bad and actually had a little figure in it.

Just for another perspective on the TC patent breech...
I have a houseful of them in percussion, flintlock, multiple calibers, standard barrels, round ball barrels, etc...I shoot one of them almost every weekend year round, never have any problems with them.
If the problem you described is in fact associated with the patent breech, it may be that your's has a problem with it or something, but it is not a purvasive problem of TC patent breeches...on the contrary, they prevent fouling / clogging in the breech area that is often heard about with straight breeches plugs getting fouled due to patches pushing crud down around the vent. My typical range session is 40 shots a trip and no matter which TC Hawken I take, and there are no problems like that...they're as reliable as shooting a .30-30.
Also, you can routinely pick up mint condition used TC Hawkens or Renegades in the $225-275 range.

193623.jpg

I have enjoyed my Tradition's Hawkins Woodsman rifle for many years. It is a beautiful looking rifle, well balanced, and with the 1:66 twist it has is one of the most accurate round ball shooters I own. 75 grains of Goex FFFg and a moose milk patched round ball and this thing will place them in the bull all day.

I also own a .50 caliber Tradition's Pioneer Rifle which is their unfancy hawkins model. It has a 1:48 twist but this is also a very accurate rifle with both round ball and R.E.A.L. 320 grain conicals.

Traditon Rifles are not considered a top of the line sidelock by many people but I have no complaints with them. Mine has functioned perfect for many many years. The one time I needed customer service with Traditions, I was very pleased with the responce and how helpful they were.

If you have enough for a Traditions and not something else, you want to get shooting, and you like the looks of the Traditions Rifle, then I would say go ahead and get it.

Thanks for all the info, I looked at the Traditions Hawken this weekend, it looks good, fit and finish looks good for the price. I also looked at the GPR what a nice looking rifle. So I think I will be saving a little money. I am liking the GPR even more since I got to shoulder it and handle it. I am howere leaning again towards the Hawken and looking at the Cabela's Hawken. Thanks all again for the info.

Back