• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ornrytexan

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with the Traditions Kentucky flintlock? I'm kinda on a budget and this one really stood out. I hear a lot of people talk about the Lyman GPR but the finished rifle is outta my range and I don't trust myself to put a kit together since I'm just getting into BP, nor do I have the equipment necessery to do so.

I've considered the Lyman Deerstalker and Trade rifles, but I don't like the compromise twist rates. Roundballs seem more economical and "traditional."

I haven't seen to many posts or reviews about the Traditions rifles though so any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

the general consensus of traditions flinters are pretty low such as weak locks poor fit etc.
i might suggest you save some more money and purchase a better quality rifle like the gpr/or a thompson center fire storm.like someone said in a previous post.most any firle with a cap will go boom,flinters are more tempramental and have to be set up right to be reliable and ignite quickly
the slow lock times common with the lower end flinters have turned many away for that reason alone.
check the want ads and look around auction[url] arms.com[/url] as well as e-bay and gun brokers .com.we also have a classified section on this forum you may find a gpr within your price range.
good luck
p.s ya gotta use real b/p such as goex or swiss powders for them to work reliably also . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
ornrytexan Is there much difference in price I got my gpr flinter from the Possable shop for a little over $400. :winking: Rocky

I know traditions guns are not well thought of by most folks on this sight. I have one, a pa.flint lock, it shoots better than I do. Connecting groups when fired from bench or rest. I have never had a moments trouble with the lock, the only service I've had to do was replace the screw that is at the breech touge, I have since filed the slot a little deeper and pay more attetion when I tighten it. I have fired this rifle about five or six hundred times and it still is funtioning great. You may be happier with a more expensive gun, but I dobt you'll have any more fun. Just my my well squeezed 2 cents.

I have a Traditions Shenandoah. For the price, it has been a decent gun, however I am not 100% satisfied with it. My biggest issue is with the lock. The lock is very small compared to most flintlocks. The frizzen sparks o.k., but it seems that it is not tempered properly. Also, I have to position the flint "bevel down" in order to get the frizzen to open. When doing this, the flint doesn't point directly into the pan, therefore the majority of the sparks are directed past the pan. In a nutshell, the lock isn't engineered properly. Since the lock is so small, it takes a small flint ( 5/8" square knapped flint). These small flints don't seem to last very long before they are too dull to knap any further.

I used my Traditions flintlock last week during muzzleloader season. At the end of each day, I fired off my gun to unload it. About half the time, it fired on the first try. Last Thursday afternoon, I had two doe come within 30 yards of my position. I thought that I was going to finally get my first flintlock kill. I aimed at the lead doe and pulled the trigger. It snapped, and the pan did not flash. I tried three more times to no avail. After the fourth try, the deer finally spooked and they ran up the opposite hill. By this time, I couldn't get a clear shot. I was furious, and I felt like throwing the gun in the creek.

Last spring, I ordered a custom flintlock from Narragansett Armes, and I hope to get it soon. My traditions has been a decent starter gun, but I wish that I had saved the extra money and bought a good one in the beginning. Once I get my new gun, I plan on putting my Traditions back for my son's first flintlock ( He is only 5 months old ). The choice is up to you, but I would consider waiting until you can afford a better gun. Or, you could look around for a used Traditions, etc.. that you could purchase for a cheaper price. Also, there are used "custom" guns that can be bought at a decent price.

Eric: Shame on you If you don't like your shenandoah don't push it on to your son. Sell it and get your son a good flintlock that he will be proud of you have plenty of time to save the money and you both can be proud of your gift. Kids need something that works everytime or they lose interest and you don't want that. Guess I've picked on a good Dad long enough.
Merry Christmas Fox

I would sell it, however it was a Christmas gift from my wife a few years ago. I would never live that one down. I guess I could use it as a wall hanger. ::

Dragoon,

Thanks for the link. That may be the answer to my problems. I'm sure the L&R locks would work better.

Id stay away from the traditions kentuky,i had a cap lock 50 cal bought new.After 10 shots of 80gr of goex 2f the part where the 2 stocks come togeather started having hair line cracks on both parts of the stock.
I shot maybe 10 more times after that and it developed a 2 inch crack right behind the lock runing toward the stock.
Maybe mine was a lemon but after looking at it i could see the pinns that hold the barrel on were drilled way off center.Dont know if this is what caused the problem but i took it back for a full refund.
The 2 piece stock that trys to give the appearance of a full stock rifle is why they sell cheaper than the fullstocks.It did shoot good for what little shooten i did with it. :(
The penn rifle or shennado or the tennese rifle they sell are fullstocks that i have heard no problems about stocks craken,just not great flint locks.

Back