• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tradition's lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MUZZLESMOKE

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I CALLED TRADITION TODAY, THEY TOLD ME IT MIGHT BE THE TRIGGERS. THE SCREW SETTINGS MIGHT BE OFF.
WHAT IS I SET THE SET TRIGGER. THEN PULL TH FRONT
TRIGGER AND THE HAMMER ONLY GOES TO HALF COCK. I CAN BACK THE SET SCREW OUT. TO WERE THE SET TIGGER
IS NOT WORKING. MAY BE SOME BODY OUT THERE HAS A ENOUGH KNOWLEDGE TO TALK ME THROUGH IT.

im sorry what is the problem? i have a traditions hawken woodsman and i might be able to help if i and others knew what u were talking about, aswell ur caps is on.

I had a .45 Woodsman once and there was the same problem. There are two screws one for the set trigger and one for the normal trigger. Try a bit to screw around there and see if it works. Did you put out the lock and checked its function by hand already?

Regards

Kirrmeister

There is a little thingy in your lock called a "Fly". Its what keeps your hammer from catching in the half cock notch when using the set triggers. Yours may be missing or stuck to where it doesnt work........................Bob

Perhaps you have a lock that is not built for set trigger use like the Deerhunter lock.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I had to do the triggers on a used Tradition Hawken. I took them out of the gun and smoothed the notches, you don't have to take apart. There are two screws for adjustment. And to springs. The wire spring on front is jest to make the front trigger go in to notch when set. The flat spring in back works when you pull it to set the triggers. It is the one that trips the sear when you pull the front trigger of the notch if trigger is set. To adjust it, set trigger and turn screw. Remember it has to go up and hit sear arm to fall the hammer. Hope this helps. Dilly

Sounds like the (FLY) to me. If it lets the hammer fall to halfcock the (FLY) is either not there or is not working. This would be a lock problem not a trigger problem. Check for the (FLY) first its a small triangular piece that forces the hammer to bypass the halfcock notch.
Fox :thumbsup:

Smokepole58Cal
The fly in the lock is either missing or it was installed backwards.

If this is a new gun, call Traditions and tell them what I said and ask them if you should return the lock or the whole gun.
They should be willing to fix it.

When a double set trigger is used, the rear triggers blade moves up rapidly and hits the sear's arm which momentarily knocks the tip of the sear out of the full cock notch releasing the tumbler. The tumbler starts to turn and the hammer that is attached to it starts to descend.

Because the impact of the rear set triggers blade is brief, the sear tries to re-engage the tumbler immediately.

There is supposed to be a very small, movable piece of metal called a "fly" that blocks off the half cock notch to keep the sear from entering it as the tumbler rotates.
If this piece is missing the sears nose will move into the half cock notch exactly like your gun is doing.

Occasionally there is some thick grease on the fly that can keep if from moving into position to do its job.

To see if the fly is there first you have to remove the lock.
To do this, put the lock into the half cock position.
Loosen the screw or screws that hold the lock in place. This (these) are found on the left side of the stock.

Do not remove the screw(s) all the way. Just 3 or 4 turns. Then lightly tap on the screw heads.
This will loosen the lock from its mortice.
Following this remove the screw(s) and the lock.

Once the lock is removed, note the projecting piece of metal that is sticking outward from the interior of the lock. This is the sear arm which releases the tumbler by moving upward.

Cock the hammer to the full cock position watching the pointed end of the sear enter the full cock notch.
Now, restraining the hammer with your thumb, push upwards on the sear arm releasing the tumbler and slowly let the hammer fall.
Watch the nose of the sear.
As it reaches the half cock notch you should see it run into the tiny fly and the fly should push it outward slightly and keep it from entering the half cock notch.
If the fly is missing, broken or installed backwards you will see the nose of the sear enter the half cock notch. If this happens you will need to replace the fly.

Let us know what you find.

Remove the lock . Check to see if the screws in the lock are loose. If I remember correctly, loose screws can allow the tumbler ,sear to get sort of canted and the lock hangs up.
Don't tighten them right up, or you could lock the whole thing up. This was the problem on two of these that I have seen.

Back