• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my Traditions "Crockett" yesterday from Midsouth. Nice workmanship, fit and finish is great for the money, lock/trigger is crisp, hammer fits nipple evenly, I don't see any problems. If it shoots as good as it looks, and good shooters from PFML say it will, I'll be tackin' targets....if you're still interested in a deerhunting gun, I have a T/C New Englander 50 cal.in very fine shape for 200. + shipping, PM me or good luck on your quest, my vote is in for the Tradition .32 :)
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
luie b said:
But would you recomend one if they were a beginner and on a budget of about $250 and they're goal was to hit 90% of their shots into a target the size of a plate at 50 yards would it be good for them?

Absolutely! Exactly what I was pondering a few months ago. I ended up with a Traditions Pursuit. Thumbhole mossy oak stock, "nickel" coated barrel and a cheap scope for $229. Functions smooth and no misfires. Appearance wise, they look like a step up from the lowend CVAs to me. All I really had to compare accuracy with is my Remington 870 shotgun that I shoot slugs through a lot. I have to use the rifled sabot slug barrel with quality ammo to outperform the muzzleloader with quality ammo at 50-75 yards. Certainly good enough to hunt with or non-competitive target shooting. Historically accurate models? I'm doubting that a lot. Your only going to get so much for your money

Yes I will someday own an expensive ML rifle, but in the meantime I am glad I didn't cheat myself out of the fun I am having now. I wondered what folks at the range would say about my cheap ML. Reality is perfect strangers ask if they could shoot it just once.

Take this for what it's worth, but in my limited experience, the ammo seems to make more difference, no matter what kind of fiream you are shooting. (That statement has limits no doubt)

Kind of like buying a car. Nobody can tell you exactly which model is best for YOU, until you get some experience driving some for yourself.

Sorry for the ramble. :yakyak:

I've had a Traditions Crockett for years and yes, they are accurate, cheap to shoot and great target/small game rifles. They are keepers. I will say that prices on them have gotten too high. They use to be a great bargain but no longer. As good as they are they can't compete with even modest custom guns at the current price. If you can get one at a fair price, though, they are excellent.

a good nipple, a good main spring and smoothing up all the surfaces of lock and trigger group will cure 99.9% of the issues related to the spanish import guns.
Of course, you can purchase aftermarket replacement locks and trigger groups. But that will exceede the cost of the gun.

Ido feel that one could spend 5-600 on the classifieds on this forum and own a real nice rifle that is more than likely usacustom made that wont give you reliability issues you get out of the box with the spanish made guns, and will retain their value.

look at the ads here and other reputable vendor sites found in the links/resources forum herein!

luie b said:
Would you recomend a traditions firearm to someone who is a beginner to muzzleloaders?

Has this beginner got the basics in rifles 101. In other words could he work on one if he had too?

The fit and finish is not as good as some out there. However if you are willing to work on the gun and learn what the gun likes such as the type of powder, the patch and the load then it is a servicable gun for the price.
Oh by the way, :shocked2: you will have to learn the type of powder, the patch and the load that any gun likes. Also lets not forget lube and cleaning practices, and caps your gun likes; to get the consistancey you will want with your shots.
So yes I would tell a friend that if you want to get your foot in the door at the lower end of the spectrum, yes I would recommend it! If you do your part, then the gun will do it's part!
Let those whose lips curl into a snarl when they hear the name Traditions, just have curled lips!! Just smile and nod politely when your Traditions tears the bullseye out of the target next to them! :rotf:

Now, knowing what I know now I would go for the Lyman GPR by saving a few more pennies if you just want one rifle but, "no one is satisfied with just one"! :shake: :haha:

Your point is well taken. These Spanish-made guns can sometimes be a crapshoot. While generally speaking you'll get a good specimen you might also get a lemon. With a "built" gun this is rarely an issue and is easily remedied if a problem does surface. I got my Crockett probably 9 years ago and have been completely satisfied. Price/quality is mostly out of sinc these days unless you can latch onto a deal.

fenders said:
I ended up with a Traditions Pursuit. Thumbhole mossy oak stock, "nickel" coated barrel and a cheap scope...Historically accurate models? I'm doubting that a lot.
Yeah, me too. :rotf:

Spot said:
fenders said:
I ended up with a Traditions Pursuit. Thumbhole mossy oak stock, "nickel" coated barrel and a cheap scope...Historically accurate models? I'm doubting that a lot.
Yeah, me too. :rotf:
I'm surprised Traditions doesn't make a "Genuine Crockett" mossy oak thumbhole stock. :grin:

-----YES--if DAVY didn't have his authentic thumb hole stock at the ALAMO--he might of gotten killed-----

Back