• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions PA Ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJTBONE

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there a way to tighten the ramrod retainer without removing the barrel or dhould i just try to get a thicker ramrod. Thanks, TBONE

I am not sure which rifle you are talking about with my Traditions, Hawken just knock out wedge and unhook the barrel at the hooked breech. Remove front screw from lock (notice direction of spring) bend the spring slightly tighter together, doesn't take much. It kind of resembles a U shape. That will make it tighter on the ramrod when reassembled.
Not sure you are going to find a larger diameter rod and if you do you will risk it getting stuck in the nose piece if it swells.
Mine cam with that darned plastic/composite rod they send out. I never did like it so sent for a rod from TOW and used the hardware off of the rod that came with the gun to out fit the new one. I had to adjust my spring for this rod, but the process is not hard to do. The new rod must have been slightly larger diameter in the center as it would go in and come back out and about halfway it wanted to stick. It didn't appear to be warped so I took a round file and relived the hole in the nose piece slightly and have had no more problems. The spring holds it firm and yet it doesn't rattle and is not extremely hard to get in and out.

50cal.cliff
Mine is a pennsylvania long rifle with a pinned barrel. I do have a few hawkens and as you say
they are quite easy to take down to clean etc.I just dont want to chance damaging the stock if I dont really have to. Will take your suggestion and look at TOW. Thanks for the info. TBONE

If you don't have one, get a pin punch to remove those barrel pins. As long as you take care, you shouldn't damage the stock.

Back