• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Trapper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1albert

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a three year old Traditons Trapper 50cal never fired. The pistol has a rocky Mountain Elk Foundation emblin burnt into it. Would this gun have any more value unfired or should I shoot the manure out of it? How do I load this? what powder, charge, ball and patch should I use? I have only shot long guns not pistol's.

Thank's
Albert

I probably should never say never but in all my years I've never known anyone to be a collector of modern Spanish made black powder reproduction guns.
At least not a collector that is paying top dollar for a valuable collection.

I say use it for what it was really made for. Shooting black powder under patched roundballs and having a fun time. :thumbsup:

Thanks, my son gave it to me. He got it for $130. at the Elk Foundation Auction.

Albert

one thing I was taught early on in life, in regards to "commemeratives"....
Shoot them, enjoy them and use them. Let your heirs worry about their value!
You might as well get yours!

a1lbert said:
How do I load this? what powder, charge, ball and patch should I use? I have only shot long guns not pistol's.

Thank's
Albert

Ditto what those guy's said, Shoot it.

Be sure to clean the barrel, nipple and nipple drum really good with a solvent before shooting, there is a packing grease in there that will turn to a really hard goo when mixed with hot burning gases. You don't want that. Clean it till a white patch comes out white.
20-25 grns of 2f powder or equvilant, a pre-lubed .10 patch and a .490 round ball, with plain ole' #11 caps will work just fine for starters,
Have fun,, :thumbsup:

I have been thinking about getting myself a Traditions Trapper. Let me know how you like yours after you shoot it. I am anxious to find out.

I hope the trapper is better then the Crockett. My grandson got one for Christmas,a .32. Has sent it back for issues,water coming out the breech-plug,twice and once for nipple leaking bad. Last time he got it back,leaking at breech,they said it would be ok, would stop in time. ? Dilly

vthompson,
I have the trapper in flint and it shoots great... after a few things. You really have to get rid of that rear "adjustable sight". It's for elevation only but the recoil, even with lighter loads tends to shift it and makes it adjustable for windage, esp when you don't want it! I replaced it with the fixed sight that comes with the Lyman great plains rifle, once you dial in elevation it's great. Careful with tapping on the front sight, the brass seems a little softer and tends to bend a little, this might be on the next replace soon list. The lock had a 'kink" in it out of the box, the problem was in the lock mortise itself, a little clean-up and it works great. It feels cheap but once you get the right flint in it, which seems to be @ 5/8 square it sparks close to every time. The best load so far seems to be @ 22 to 25 gr 3f, .490 round ball waly world patches. I haven't benched it properly, just kinda fired it over a piece of rolled up carpet, and groups @ 3-4 " at 25 yards. Interestly for freehand it shoots better not using the triggergaurd hook. I'll post some targets when I can find them, good luck!

I've seen the commemorative version for sale. It only sells for a little more than the standard version. I wouldn't worry about collectors value.

My Trapper loves a 35 grain charge of FFFG pushing a .490 ball on .018 pillow ticking lubed with Ballistol. It's a dang accurate pistol for it's price. Good trigger too once you get it dialed in.

Mine's a capper and I shoot 30 grains of FFFg in mine with a .490 ball and ticking cut at the muzzle. Lots of fun to shoot.

I have one in flint. It came with a cut agate flint and doesn't spark worth manure with that flint. It is front heavy and clunky.

Not nearly the balance of a TC Patriot.

However, it is fun to shoot, but then again, so is nearly any black power gun. Personally, I prefer my old CVA Kentucky flint Pistol. Better balanced, more reliable lock. I have somewhere between 10 and 15 black powder pistols, and the trapper is my least favorite. However, it is the only flintlock pistol I have that is legal for deer in PA. I carry it for a second shot, that I have never yet needed.

Latest posts

Back