• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditonal powder measures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Rogers

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As I am still learning about traditonal flinters and will be getting mine next summer (7 months and ocunting until it is finished), I am looking for a place to buy a tradional powder measure. I am planning onn reenacting a bit and would like to be as period correct as possible. I was reading "Pioneers" last night by Cooper and he mentioned Natty Bumpo using a "measure" to load his rifel with.

I am wondering where one can purchase a powder measure that would fit in the mid-1750's time frame?

Thanks for any info,
Doc

Powder measures varied and were limited only by the imagination of the frontiersman. Antler tips, sections of cane, cow horn tips, deer legs, turkey wing bones, wood, just about anything that could be found in the wild and was hollow or could be hollowed out will make a period powder measure. Store bought ones were available from traders, and many looked about like the ones we buy today.

If you google "antler tip powder measure", you will get a lot of hits on websites of craftsmen who will make you one, but part of the fun of muzzleloading is making one yourself.

LLC just about covered everything. Over the winter, try a few of his suggestions - I think you will be happy :thumbsup:

I carried brass measures that I bought from the gunshop for years.

Now I'm hooked on river cane. They are super light, strong and noiseless when they bang against something.

Elderberry stems are easy ones to make. I use them a lot. For measures and for cap storeage and powder. Have one 20syrs old. Use a soft wood like Popolar&Baswood for the plug. For base plug I use a piece of old ramrod, glude in. Cut, scrape off bark, push out center with wire, let air dry. Then ream out center. Leave bottom small to put the plug in. You can stain. Dilly

i don't know that anyone has a fix on what powder measures look like in the 1750s time period.

One way or another, you are going to need an adjustable powder measure, and I recommend what I have used, and that is a brass measure, with a funnel attached to help pour the powder down the barrel. Tedd Cash Products makes them, and it was a Tinney design before that. YOu can find them at most suppliers.

Once you get the powder charge you want, then you can make a powder measure of whatever it is that fits your clothing and other gear. Certainly, deer antlers were carved out or drilled out, to use as powder measures. You often find them attached to the powder horns themselves, by a piece of rawhide thong. I made mine from a piece of antler. They were also made from woods, bamboo( technically a grass)and metal, or combinations of the two. You see metal tube measures more commonly associated with military rifles, but they were used everywhere, particularly by surviving veterans.

Keep the adjustable powder measure in your range box. You never know when you want to try a different powder, or load, or a different ball or bullet combination.

In a back issue of the Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly, there is a short article on shop-made measures. Basically, a tube was made of thin sheet metal, and soldered down the seam. Then, two discs of the same metal were cut, and each was bent at 90 degrees, which would make the two when soldered together the same diameter as the tube, and they were soldered to one end of the tube. A hole was punched or drilled in the upturned end. According to the article, this was a popular make-work project for the gun shop apprentice, to practice soldering.

Rod

I am sure that this was how early tubing was made, bfore the industrial age. The brass tubes now used may not have soldered seams, but they work well. I don't know anyone who gets their nose out of shape seeing an adjustable powder measure in someone's hunting bag these day. If someone wanted to give me greif over mind, I would pack up and leave. They don't need my money, and I don't need their company. I have used my equipment in plenty of " primitive " shooting matches, in the past, so if something I have is no longer acceptable, they can kiss my dust. I do know that some things we now use routinely were not available prior to 1840 or so, but so what? If I know in advance that some places wants only fixed measures, I can make one up for that purpose, if I really want to participate. Their problem is that I don't have anything to prove to myself any more, and there is a short limit on how much nonsense I will put up with to participate in their games.

I have one of this construction made for me by a tinsmith that makes 18th and 19th century tinware. It's a pretty neat little tool.
I have all kinds of measures in my collection from river cane, antler, tin, etc... Some of the antler ones are pretty nice art pieces made by a friend that likes to work in antler and horn.

River cane makes a great measure...and quickly too I may add. Bind the top up with some strong cord to prevent splitting. You can wood burn designs. Tips cut off after making a powderhorn work well too.
High

Save a turkey leg. I've been making mine larely out of turkey bone. Super easy to work with, unlike antler. It's already hollow except for some bone webs inside. It can be stained by soaking in tea or coffee. I make a cap with a lip to fit one end out of cherry or maple, glue that on (I have some old hide glue I figure is fairly authentic), whittle it flush and rub with beeswax to seal it.

IM000642.jpg

Horn3.jpg

Works great and looks good. The upper one has a copper wire loop (good 'ol house outlet ground wire) and the lower one an "iron" staple. I hammer clothes hanger wire square and then make a staple out if it to hold the keeper leather. You can get fancy and heat the wire with a propane torch and twist it. The vent pick is also clothes hanger wire. Looks like forged iron once heated and allowed to cool (DO NOT QUENCH HARDEN VENT PICKS!)

Is this what you are looking for?

This particular measure meters 75 gr FFG black.
The spring cramp in the lower part of the photo is straight from Diderot's Encyclopedia of Trades.

P1010086a.jpg

Here is a smaller one that meters 30 gr FFFG below my personal small game knife. The barrel of the measure is turned to reveal the brazed seam.

P1010088a.jpg

I thought it would be nice to have something other than plastic in my bag. Here is what I managed to create. One end will be used as a short starter.

108-0815_IMG.jpg

108-0810_IMG.jpg

I use river cane supplied by a friend and bamboo from my sister in-laws back yard. I made a nice walking/shooting stick out of the bamboo from her yard. Strong as steel and light as a feather when properly dried.

Hey, I have a bunch of rivercane I got for making arrows. Now, I have a new use for it. Thanks for the idea.

Dan

HuntAway said:
I thought it would be nice to have something other than plastic in my bag. Here is what I managed to create. One end will be used as a short starter.

108-0815_IMG.jpg

108-0810_IMG.jpg

This is a very cool idea and a multi purpose tool for sure. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup: ....John

Stumpkiller said:
Save a turkey leg. I've been making mine larely out of turkey bone. Super easy to work with, unlike antler. It's already hollow except for some bone webs inside. It can be stained by soaking in tea or coffee. I make a cap with a lip to fit one end out of cherry or maple, glue that on (I have some old hide glue I figure is fairly authentic), whittle it flush and rub with beeswax to seal it.

IM000642.jpg

Horn3.jpg

Works great and looks good. The upper one has a copper wire loop (good 'ol house outlet ground wire) and the lower one an "iron" staple. I hammer clothes hanger wire square and then make a staple out if it to hold the keeper leather. You can get fancy and heat the wire with a propane torch and twist it. The vent pick is also clothes hanger wire. Looks like forged iron once heated and allowed to cool (DO NOT QUENCH HARDEN VENT PICKS!)

Another brilliant idea and I love your horn also. What do you guys use to scribe/engrave your horns? Thanks John

zepman,
I'd love to say I labored with a pin and ink but the truth of the matter is that I used a very period correct Dremmel tool and a Sharpie. :grin:

HuntAway said:
zepman,
I'd love to say I labored with a pin and ink but the truth of the matter is that I used a very period correct Dremmel tool and a Sharpie. :grin:
LOL Well it looks fantastic my friend :thumbsup:

Back