• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trapdoor Bayonet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick Pugh

36 Cal.
Reaction score
It's been a while since I last posted, hope all are fine. I've been looking for a original bayonet for my repro 61 Springfield, and on ebay there are alot listed as Trapdoor Springfield bayonets. I thought the only difference between the models was the trapdoor conversion. So will the bayonet fit my 61 Springfield?

A trapdoor Springfield bayonet will not fit if it for a 45-70 caliber model. Some 50-70 caliber trapdoors were sleeved down from Springfield rifle muskets. If you can find one these, it may fit. Your best bet is to check out sites on the Internet and catalogues that sell replica Springfield bayonets that will fit on a 58 caliber rifle musket. Most of the original 58 caliber bayonets are in the hands of private collectors. If your Civil War musket is 69 caliber you will have to find a replica bayonet to fit it as I have not seen any originals in years.

I have a replica bayonet for it, but wanted an original too. So I should look for only a original for the 61 Springfield I guess. Thanks

The bayonet your looking for fit all Models of the Springfields from the 1855 Rifle Musket, 1861, 1863 types 1&2, 1865, 1866, 1868, and 1870.
Some of them were even swaged down by Springfield to fit the 1873 model in .45/70.
There are some minor cosmetic differences on some as I understand it in some of the marking ect..
Hope this helps.

Regards, Dave

Back