• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traveling with bp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrett

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone travels with black powder? With the new airline security measures and such, do you fly with it or have to buy it at your destination? I'm new to hunting with a muzzleloader.

Dan

I read somewhere recently that fines for bringing explosives onto airlines start at $250,000 plus jail time. If you can't drive it where you're going, arrange for a supply once you arrive. And don't expect it to be easy to find on arrival if you haven't tracked down a source beforehand. Like em or not, if you don't line up a source beforehand you're going to be shooting subs or not shooting at all.

I posted the same question on another forum and got a great answer. Take two boxes of 45-110 ammo and pull the bullets on arrival. Sounds good to me.

Dan

What an interesting thought! I just happen to have a 50-140. Two boxes translates into 2800 grains of powder or a little under half a pound. Cool!

I think I would arrange the BP before I would do that. I had done a great deal of flying two years ago when I worked for an Auto show company. We unloaded aluminum from semi trailers to erect big tents for the show. Seems like the aluminum powder would get on all of our cloths and work gear and it would trip the alarms at the airport screeners. I guess gunpowder must be a lot like aluminum powder because it was a mess getting through a couple of times.

I just would not want to risk doing something like what was mentioned with the mess it could create. Might be legal but I would check it out. Some of these airport people can be a royal pain. If you do much flying you will find out sooner or later.

It just so happens I've been PM'ing a member here to see if he would help me out when I traveled to his part of the country to hunt.

I too would probably resort to a box 45/70 cart. with BP if I could not make arrangements. It is perfectly legal from what I've been reading. The only down side to the box of ammo is finding percussion caps when you get to your destination.

I thought of that but with the ex-ray, it may draw too much attention. I'd rather not have to explain why.

Back