• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trekking vs Survival Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the difference between the two?
I have never trekked but always thought I would like to. The recent thread on the survival hunt had 70 plus replies in a couple of days.
Pretty darn popular. The Trekking forum has not had much, if anything over the last couple of months. Does the strive for 100% authenticity and critisism for anything less drive people away? The thread by armymedic.2 sounds more like what I would be interested in. That is to say fairly primative but not neccesarily 100%. Hunt, live off the land, try out some primative type skills, Enjoy the solitude or friendships as the occasion may dictate.

Just some wandering thoughts. wondered if anyone else had the same observations or other thoughts on the subject.

PJC

I think you hit the nail on the head with your assessment. Historical trekking is all about doing the way our forefathers did it in the wilds. From head to toe, everything is historically correct. The survival hunt is a bit different in that you still have some modern conveniences.

In my way of thinking this world is big enough to acommodate all sorts of tastes.

To me, historical trekking would be the reenactment of a historical trek. A western example would be along the lines of the horse "brigades" that were done by AMM members in the 70's and 80's where they reenacted the treks made by the fur trade era buckskinners they personified, all done very PC, they covered hundreds to thousands of miles over many weeks/months along the same routes, and just like with the original freetrappers they lived entirely off the land. That would follow with any era or personification chosen where a historical trek (or march) is being reenacted afoot or otherwise.

What was suggested is a "persona" trek to me, where you are only as PC as you want to be while reenacting a historical lifestyle and not a historical event.

I wouldn't call this example a "survival hunt". The goal to hunt for the pot is still just a hunt, but with persona overtones in this case. Any trek could turn into a true survival situation though should a real life emergency occur on it.

YMMV

WA

The hunt taking place with armymedic as we discuss this is not really a trek and not really a survival hunt. It's still fun to think of it in survival terms though and go out there and do some of the things that would be done if on a long hunt in the olden days.

I'm guessing that a true survival hunt where one is truly at high risk of death and must hunt to survive until found or getting out would be more hairy than most of us would care to participate in. Hopefully i never have to do it for real but playing at it is sure fun.

Looking forward to hearing the tale from armymedic.

For me the general concept of a "trek" involves covering a distance and not staying in one spot the whole time.

That distinction is important to me, cuzz it forces you to be a lot less elaborate in your overnight arrangements. Take it from me.... If you stay in one spot for four or five days your camp is going to get pretty fancy and your gear is going to be strung all over the place. But if you have to pack it all up in the morning and lug it for hours and set it all up again, you're going to keep it simple.

That has nothing to do with modern concepts of "trekking" as enjoyed by many today. No reflection on their efforts and fun.

But from one who has done an awful lot of multi-day hiking hunts covering long distances on foot, it's exactly like the difference between putting up a base camp and a spike camp. When we're packing moose or elk long distances in short daylight hours, we often end up with both a base camp and a spike camp.

On the most memorable (or maybe worst) December hunt, it took four of us five full days to pack out two bull elk six miles. When you've only got a little more than 5 hours of daylight to play with and lotsa brown bears with sweet tooths for elk, you're going to need camps at each end of the operation. That base camp looked like the Hilton, compared to the skinny living we packed in on our backs.

I just thought that the similarities where too close to be such a difference in interest.

I think I prefer the survival hunt as it suites my intensions. It gives us something to talk about until they get back to us.

I hope they are having a good time. A good campfire and a pot full of stew.

If not a survival hunt what would be the proper term for an overnight primative hunt?

The whole thing has me thinking what I would take along on trip of this nature. I do not think I would do a winter trip at this time but I would like to do a trip next fall.

PJC

bigbore442001 said:
I think you hit the nail on the head with your assessment. Historical trekking is all about doing the way our forefathers did it in the wilds. From head to toe, everything is historically correct. The survival hunt is a bit different in that you still have some modern conveniences.

In my way of thinking this world is big enough to acommodate all sorts of tastes.

Very good explanation. Historical trekking is doing it as historically accurate as possible (or as accurate as your party wishes it to be), but it's not necessarily a reenactment of a specific event.

Trekking could incorporate "survival" if you wish. It's what you make it.

Historical trekking could be a lot of fun but I am not sure how far I would go to being historically correct. I know that in the 1700's the existance of ACE inhibitors for high blood pressure didn't exist but do you think I would leave mine behind? I wear glasses. They are of a modern design. Would I go out and buy a special pair of watch crystal glasses? Doubtful. Would I wear some modern wool underwear when it was cold? I probably would.

There are a few guys that I know who do treking. I don't so what I have to say is just based on what they told me.

They do two different kinds of trips. One is where they just go in and set up a camp and spend a few days camping shooting and hunting if there is a season. the other kind is where they set off with a plan to reach a certain destination over a period of days.

The like to be historically correct as possible all the while they do these trips.

I sure admire what they do but don't have any desire to get into the period or historically correct thing even though I enjoy making and using HC items, I'll probably never have a full kit.

Here in the rockies, a truly HC or PC trek would probably involve some horses I would think? :confused:

"
If not a survival hunt what would be the proper term for an overnight primative hunt?'

An overnight primitive hunt...

There is probably less activity on the forum for historical trekking and such here as there are a couple of forums elsewhere that specialize in that area.

Claude said:
Very good explanation. Historical trekking is doing it as historically accurate as possible (or as accurate as your party wishes it to be), but it's not necessarily a reenactment of a specific event.

Trekking could incorporate "survival" if you wish. It's what you make it.

Absolutley, :applause: The "period correctness" of the trips soley depends on what the people going want to accept. I've been on trips where it was very PC, to point you did your best to take medications in a way that would not be "noticed" and some where there was a guy wearing modern boots because he had some foot injury. Both trips were enjoyable for different reasons. I have no distinction between a regular trek and an overnight primitive hunt, though the title is more descriptive. Hunting while on a trek is fun and you can't get more PC than that.

marmotslayer said:
I'm guessing that a true survival hunt where one is truly at high risk of death and must hunt to survive until found or getting out would be more hairy than most of us would care to participate in. Hopefully i never have to do it for real but playing at it is sure fun.

A survival trek can be anything anyone wants it to be. If putting your life in jeapordy is what you want to do, go for it. However, most folks I am familiar with who particpate in survival treks go out for a few days to a week, or so, to test their skills. In some situations, no food is taken. In others, a day or two of rations are allowed for a week long trip.

No one should put their health or life on the line to have fun, or to test their skills. Every survival hunt, trek, or jaunt in the woods should be planned with safety in mind.

Anyone taking prescription meds should take them along, not to mention a good water filter.

And every event should have an emergency exit in the event of an injury, gear failures, or for any other reason.

This is supposed to be fun, not life threatening, though there is always a certain risk when leaving the beaten path.
J.D.

Back