• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tried patched round ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Gentlefolk,
I pert near new here but have been using ML's since 1986 for hunting. Always used the old style TC Maxi hunter that I cast myself but decided this year to give a patched round ball a go.
First shot in anger resulted in a slain doe at 28-29 steps. Snap shot hit her high busting through both shoulders and the spine. Ball kept on going.
I was impressed that all that bone didn't stop it from exiting.
This was back in October's ML doe only two day season. Added a new dimension to my BP experience.
I'll try to add a picture and then must run if I am to have a go at the last day of the general ML season for Ohio. Very cold out but will see what I can do.
Thanks for looking,
Christopher

And so it begins. New ground broken with the old patched round ball :haha: Hope more will follow. Dan.

Thanks for the compliments, gentlemen. The rifle is the standard issue 50 caliber Pedersoli Blue Ridge percussion that a close friend purchased from Cabelas nearly 20 years ago. When he passed on it was given to me. I've taken a deer or two in the past with it using the original TC Maxi Hunter conical.. Because of other mzlders this rifle doesn't see much action. It fouls much quicker than my Renegade or Hawkin and is slower to clean. Earlier in the year it caught my eye and I remembered Ken's hand cast round balls were somewhere around.
The barrel seemed very tight with the pillow ticking patches that came with the balls so I cut up an old linen shirt which allows for practical field loading. I didn't mic the linen but the calipers said the rb's are .490. 50 yards with a charge of 65 grains fffg geox is on target well without adjusting the sites. I still do not have it ready for 100yds but the woods I planned to hunt last October meant close shots were in order. A young doe caught me slightly shifting my sitting position. I am a ground hunter and can't get away with much movement when they slip up on me like this group did. As soon as the larger lead doe cleared the cedar tree snapped the rifle up and touched off quickly before the yearling spooked them out of there. Thus the high hit.
Top of shoulders/spine kept her anchored until the coup de grace was administered. No instant kill like Roundball achieves with his shots but the prb did everything th TC slug twice it's weight would have done at this range.
Wish I could say it made a repeat performance this afternoon but the local herd kept elsewhere. Maybe they sensed my anger? Oh well, I'm not angry anymore, just tired. I didn't want to butcher a third deer this season anyway (that's what I keep telling myself, at least). Maybe next fall I'll be in the right mind, earnestly angry, to try another prb on an unsuspecting deer to be sure this wasn't a fluke, eh?

I've killed a bull moose, a cow bison and boo cou deer with PRB's Once you go round you'll never go back.. :2

Back