• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

trigger problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wright561

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a CVA Trapper and I have been having trouble with the trigger and hammer. I am having trouble keeping the hammer in the cocked position and in the half-cocked safety position. I took the trigger assembly apart and found that a small spring type device that puts pressure on the pin to slide it into one of the two hammer positions was broke. I guess it finally gave out through a lot of wear and tear. I'm not sure where I can find a replacement part. The hammer will not stay cocked at all now. I know I didn't explain this the greatest but hopefully someone can help me out and give me advice on how to solve my problem before turkey season! Thanks guys.

kyhunter said:
I have a CVA Trapper and I have been having trouble with the trigger and hammer. I am having trouble keeping the hammer in the cocked position and in the half-cocked safety position. I took the trigger assembly apart and found that a small spring type device that puts pressure on the pin to slide it into one of the two hammer positions was broke. I guess it finally gave out through a lot of wear and tear. I'm not sure where I can find a replacement part. The hammer will not stay cocked at all now. I know I didn't explain this the greatest but hopefully someone can help me out and give me advice on how to solve my problem before turkey season! Thanks guys.

You explained it fine...sounds to me like the "sear spring"...agree with Rebel

Is that it?
PICT0017.jpg

riarcher, i can't view the image. It says "image no longer available" in your post. Can you email the pic to me at [email protected].

I would say this piece is about 3/4" long, bent in a V or U shape. The width of the metal strip is probably about 1/8" or so.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sounds like a sear spring.
CVA used 2 different styles. 1 was a horseshoe bend and the other was a v bend. I know that because, when I called Deer Creek to order one, I didn't know which one I needed. I ended up buying both. Still have the extra one. Not sure which one it was, I'd have to look.
If riarcher can't help you out, I'll check and see if the one I have will work for you.
It ain't doin' me any good sitting in my shooting box.

riarcher,
i sent you an email.

jethro, do you know how i can get the number for Deer Creek? I tried to do a search on it and can't find anything.

Thanks again for the help guys.

You may be able to use a section of common packing band, and make one. There is a good chance that you can cold bend it and have enough strength for it to work. Packing band is 1095 spring steel with a low side temper.

I had thought about that Wick but if I can find the actual part I'd rather go that route. Worst case scenario though, I'll have to go the route you suggested.
Thanks for the help.

scan0001.jpg

Maybe this will work. Here is a scan of the extra sear spring I have. It is the horseshoe style.
If this will work for you send me a PT.
Otherwise you can reach Deer Creek at 765-525-6181
Fax is 765-525-9595
Address is
Deer Creek Products
PO Box 246
Waldron, IN 46182

Good luck!

Back