• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger replacement/1851 Colt replica

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix511

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I acquired for a very good price a brass frame 1851 Colt Navy 36 cal replica. Manufacturer's mark is the superposed "DGG" for Armi San Paulo. Not great quality but worthwhile to remove the crud from long storage and shoot with some light loads.

The trigger was butchered by shortening the nose that engages the notches in the hammer. The bolt locks up OK, the hand rotates the cylinder, but the hammer has about 30 degrees of freeplay at full cock, and the trigger goes so far forward I cannot get my finger on it. I have a new Pietta trigger with a nose that is 0.140" longer than the older one, too long to fit with the hammer in place, but fits the recess and trigger screw OK.

What are some suggestions to fitting the new trigger and is the trigger feature that engages the hammer notches the problem?

Willie
Are you sure your replacement trigger is for a 1851 Colt?

Something sounds wrong here. The trigger should be a drop in fit as all of the inner parts for the 1851 and 1860 Colts are very similar.

If I didn't know better I might think you have a trigger for a Walker or a Dragoon, both having larger frames and larger parts.

Yes, the trigger is for the 1851 Colt. It fits the recess correctly if I remove the hammer from the frame. Its identical to the old, butchered trigger except the "nose" (maybe "tail" is a better word) is slightly too long. I'll cut-n-try some adjustments, grinding off a few thou at a time until it slips into place and engages half and full cock notches correctly.

I think the reason the hammer goes so far forward after being pulled all the way back is the trigger "tail" has been excessively shortened, allowing the hammer to rotate forward until it engages the full cock notch.

Back