• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

trying to find a Black Powder dealer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longbowmark

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am brand new to this forum, I am sick of the performance of the black powder replacement products and want to use black powder again. Much to my dismay I can not find a dealer or anyone who knows one near by. I live in SW michigan. Does anyone know of a dealer in the area. Thank you.

Welcome.

I don't know of any dealers your way, but I order my powder from Graf and Sons, located in Mexico, MO.

I ordered 5 pounds of 2F and 3F earlier this summer. They didn't have any Goex, which I usually use, but I did order some of their name brand powder, Grafs, and I have seen no difference between it and Goex (except it was $1 cheaper than Goex!).

They have a web site, and it can be found in the "Links" section of this forum.

Good luck, and good shooting.

Outdoorman

Most of us are in the same boat as you, we can't buy powder locally due to high insurance premiums added to dealers who stock real black powder. It seems buying powder online is the best way to go, and probably your only option (ya, it pisses me off too). I go with Powder Inc and have had satisfying business transactions with them. As already mentioned, Grafs has had good reports also. Others may chime in and report on their ordering experiences. Bill

snowdragon said:
Most of us are in the same boat as you, we can't buy powder locally due to high insurance premiums added to dealers who stock real black powder. It seems buying powder online is the best way to go, and probably your only option (ya, it pisses me off too). I go with Powder Inc and have had satisfying business transactions with them. As already mentioned, Grafs has had good reports also. Others may chime in and report on their ordering experiences. Bill

The EXPLOSIVES license needed and the requirements that go with it are what put people out of BP in my area.
While less explosive than percussion caps or primers its still an explosive by decree and this adds a layer of difficulty most retailers pass on.

Dan

It’s back door gun control like the deal with lead. No one in my state
sells black powder. I offered to buy the powder magazine and license
for the local shop. To much hassle they said, even if I paid for the powder
and all, no cost to them.

Told me that the black powder people got most of their stuff on-line and there
was no incentive to carry things for them. :(

Tinker2

The last time I purchased any it was mail order from Grafs. That said, I'm hearing that Pennsylvania is going to "declassify" black powder as an explosive and that it can be sold like smokeless powder in your average sporting goods store. I hope that's true.

Just go to the Goex site & they list distributors.

I have used:

The Main Powder House
PowderInc
Clarksville Gun & Rod
Pyrotechics
Graf & Son
or buy @ Friendship in June or Sept.

There are plenty of places to get it from, but usually noine locally. Some powder venders require you purchase large lots, some will break it down to smaller lots, but the Hazmat charge is the same for 5# or 25# to the best of my knowledge.

Some Sporting Goods places carry it but you have to ask for it, as it is not allowed to be out on the shelf to the public & has to be locked in the back in a powder magazine.

Keith Lisle

The Maine powder House sells Goex for 15.00/lb in 25 lb lots with no shipping or Hazmat fees...

The situation in Texas is no better. I could only find one guy in Dallas county that sells it and he wants $21 a pound.

I just ordered 25 lbs online worked out to $15.

Id like to hear more about what PA is doing since the Feds drive the magazine rule and other license regulations.

Power to the states!

Coonies black powder in Hobbs, N.M., about $13 delivered to my door by UPS.
Deadeye

There's a fellow near Otsego that sells Goex, and I'm pretty sure there's an sporting goods retailer in Kalamazoo that carries it also. If you can't get ahold of Poor Private I suggest you Google NMLRA, go to their list of Field Reps and call Pat King (the Michigan state coordinator).

Go to the GOEX website, which has a map of the US and the names, addresses, phone, and email addresses for their distributors around the country. Find the one(s) near you, and contact them. They can tell you the dealers who sell their products, and where they are located.

Federal law prohibits dealers from displaying Black Powder on the floor. If they have it, it has to be stored in a safe in a back room( or other building). You have to ASK Retailers if they have it-- they aren't smart enough to put up signs that tell you they do have black powder!-- Or display Empty powder cans out on the floor, with a sign instructing you to ASK for the powder.

We have lists of suppliers on this forum- see LINKS- up under member resources-- that will ship the powder to your door. If you buy in volume, you save money on the cost per pound. You can order up to 2 cases per shipment ( 50 lbs.) to spread the Haz Mat fee over more powder, and thereby cut the cost of the powder per lb.

Buying one can- 1 lb.-- of powder at a time is just plain silly, even when it was available in local stores. When I get as low as 3 lbs. I begin making plans to buy more powder!

Black Powder doesn't spoil( like modern smokeless powder can), or lose its power over time. The substitute powder do, once the can is opened. Black Powder recovered from hundreds-year-old-sunken cannons, and dried, has been found to not only ignite, but have just as much power as any new powder has.

So, save the sheckles, get with other shooters, and combine a powder order that will buy the powder at the lowest cost you can get. Keep a supply of powder to feed that gun for as long as you can afford to shoot.

Guys who shoot weekly often can go through a case of powder (25 lbs.) a year! Those who shoot competitively, and shoot more often, will go through a couple of cases of powder a year, and then some. Shotgunners tend to consume the most powder, shooting clay target sports.

Hello,

I'm attempting to start a black powder supply network in Indiana.

Just began yesterday, but results so far are promising.

I'll keep you updated.

Josh

the jag shop
2103 101st ave
otsego,mi.49078
269-694-4749
Has
goex, schutzen,and swiss

Back