• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tunnel To Success

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc H

32 Cal
Reaction score
Group,

About 15 years ago, I bought a Flintlock Lyman Trade Rifle in 50 cal. I bought the rifle at the "Mountain Man" in Manatou springs Colorado.
My first shot had a long lock time. The second did not work.

Returned from the range today after shooting the same rifle. 10 Shots with no problem and a fast lock time. The difference is that I placed a thin wire in the flash channel while I loaded the main charge.
Then primed with about half the pan full.

The wire formed a tunnel into the main charge and worked great.

Marc

i have one flint lock that requires that method. it is the only way i can insure it will fire. the vent liner is a touch long and needs to be shortened.
all the rest i have made sure the vent liner doesn't intrude into the breech, and liners are all coned inside and polished. when i get around to it i will fix the one.

Yep, the Investarm touch hole liners need a little extra care to work well. You can also enlarge the hole slightly, that's what I did on my Trade rifle which is now very reliable.

I have a Lyman Trade gun, Shot 15 shots on Mon. one slight hang fire. I don't wipe between shots, pick the touch hole or put anything in the touch hole. What I did do is replace the touch hole with a white lighting and used about a .055 hole. The smaller touch hole keeps the powder from falling out when you load which can leave a void at the opening. I like it piled up trying to get out. This cured the inconstancy on my trade gun and makes loading and shooting simpler.

Back