• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey 2008

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyFlintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
As twinklelight started to brighten into the opening day of Ky turkey season I was setup on the side of a river bluff with the double 12 caplock in hand. SHortly after daylight two birds fired off in front of me over the hill. I waited till flydown and gave them a few yelps with some excited cutting and they hammered back. They moved up the hill and gobbled, prob under 40 yards, but the hill dropped off quick and I couldn't see them....then they faded away. I eased down the hill some to circle them and gave a few yelps...then I see him. A big coyote slipping into view, I waited and was slumped against a tree until he got to 10 yards and I hammered him. A big male coyote for sure.

The eve I was slipping along the river bluff and had a hen answer my calling. I called excitedly to her and soon I could see her at the top of the bluff about 50 yards or so above me, with several other turkeys, two with white and red heads. :wink:

It was wide open between me and them except for a big old log about 18" high that ran dang-near 50 ft or so. When they dropped their heads I laid down and scooted right next to that log and began to climb upward, trying to stay as low as I could. Within a few min I was at the top end of the log and laid the hammers back. I got situated and eased up and he popped his head up and I fired. What a great ending to a great day.

wess2008-1.jpg

Good luck if you get out!
Wess

Good show, nice bird!~ I had two Coyotes bust a chance at a big 'ol Tom yesterday morning. The Tom was coming in, still out of sight and then everything went to pieces, hens running, the Tom flying, I am trying to figure out what is going on, then I see two Coyotes pop there heads up over the lip of the hill, didn't even see me, and ran off after the fleeing hens. Neither the Coyotes or the Tom got close enough for my 10 ga. Pedersoli to bust - I can take stock in the fact that at least one hunter in this state took down the Coyote population by at least one. :thumbsup:

Great job on both! Our season starts next month after they thaw a little..... Nice lookin' cabin too. Congrats!

Back