• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Games - Day 1

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've never tried hunting turkeys in the fall, so I took this week off to have a go at it (and enjoy some vacation). We can shoot any turkey in the fall and I won't hesitate to shoot a hen if that's what's offered (one less might save me some grief next spring - lol), but I observed a small flock of male birds (5-6) in the same general area twice over the weekend around 10-11am, so I setup where I had seen them last which is an L-shaped bean field that wraps around a small block of woods. I was in and ready at 7am. By 11am, my rump needed more than an in-place squirmy stretch and I was getting impatient. So, I snuck along the edge of the field, around the corner to see if there were any birds out. Sure enough, I bumped a hen walking right tight to the woods - figures. :idunno: It was a pretty soft bump so I just snuck back and sat down again, thinking they might be on their way around to me if I stay put. At 2:30 it started raining lightly so I threw in the towel and walked out. On the other side of the standing corn about 300m from where I was sitting is a cut hay field and there was a flock of 15-20 hens/young there. I didn't even know that flock was there, so no worries. I walked up the hill to my truck, and looked back across over the corn to the bean field where I had been and, sure enough, there were 5 male birds and (I think) 2 hens pretty much right where I bumped the one hen on my stretch walk. I watched them work there way along right tight to the woods for about 50 yards and hang out in a corner by an old apple tree. Two of the toms were actually strutting after the lead hen - didn't think they did that in the fall. A little frustrating having turkey all around me and no chances, but at least I know I'm in the ballpark... and I know where I'll be tomorrow morning! :hmm:

turkey%20hunt%20-%20Oct.%2017_zpsmyvcwvxz.jpg

The Baron said:
Two of the toms were actually strutting after the lead hen - didn't think they did that in the fall.

I don't have experience hunting turkeys but I've been puzzled for a long time by grouse gathering flocks and showing breeding behavior in the fall. The flocks only gather for a short time and break up after a month or so. A few days ago I heard a radio program that mentioned that the photoperiod in the spring is what triggers birds to begin breeding. In the fall, since the photoperiod is similar, many bird species display breeding behavior, even though they're not actually breeding.

Enjoyed reading about your hunt! Good luck! :thumbsup:

pab1 said:
...........A few days ago I heard a radio program that mentioned that the photoperiod in the spring is what triggers birds to begin breeding. In the fall, since the photoperiod is similar, many bird species display breeding behavior, even though they're not actually breeding.......
So, turkeys and grouse have periods too? :redface: :rotf:

Turkeys are very social! Do not hesitate to call sporadically!! sometimes they will come in just to see who the new gal in town is. Or if they got split up by a coyote or something they will want to find a friend. Good Luck and Pictures!!

You can also use Decoys. They are not as aggressive so no half strut, even though they do strut. a single Hen works great!

Well, some may have read my narrative about Day 1, so we'll call that prerequisite reading and pick up from there...

For Day 2, I moved around the corner of the woods just past the apple tree where I saw the birds milling around yesterday afternoon. By 6:50am I was tucked into some brush with cut saplings pushed in to make a screen in front of me, just off the edge of the standing bean field (pretty dry and brown now - ready to harvest). I had DJ, my faithful aggressive jake decoy, deployed at 10 yards right in front of my preferred shooting port. I'll make a long story short and say there was nothing happening in the woods at all, save for high winds and the odd apple plopping down. I had a good view in one direction right along the woods where I had seen birds come in/go out yesterday and thought I had this setup just about perfect. I tried a little bit of soft calling here and there (purrs, clucks and my best attempt at a few tom yelps). Nothing. I am very much alone, it seems.

At 11am, I simply had to stand up for a minute. Plus, after 4 hours looking at DJ I was wondering if he might spook the birds off (I fully expected visitors by now, so the little hamster was running backwards on the wheel in my head at a good clip - lol). I carefully peeked left and right and went out to remove DJ.

You're probably expecting me to say I bumped the birds then... but I didn't... and after 30 seconds of working the kinks out of my back and hips, I'm tucked into my hide once again.

Now, this is probably where fibbing or leaving out the details might make for a more brag-worthy story, but we're all friends here so the truth is... at about 11:30am I decided now would be a good time to pull out my i-phone and check the weather radar and Facebook. :redface: This involves putting on my reading glasses. So, here I am with my 18th C flintlock resting over my knee, having a look at my (damn) 21st C phone when... of course... I hear a loud "putt!" veeerry close. I freeze, and roll my eyes hard left while looking over my glasses... to see a hen staring at me about 3 yards away on the edge of the beans. Clearly, the jig is up and I'm either shooting a turkey right now, or texting someone about it... :rotf: So, I left my phone fall into my lap, cock my trusty .62 Caywood, and slowly but steadily bring my gun to bear on the hen that is loudly putting and slowly walking away. I see another hen out of the corner of my eye, but I've made my choice. We all know turkeys are fast as greased lightning and this girl, being alarmed already, was no exception. I take a nice bead on her noggin' at 10 yards and drop the hammer. When the smoke clears, she's sort of "swimming" in the field. 4 leaps and a snapped neck later, it's over. All I can figure is she took flight at the sound of the hammer falling because she's got a huge hole blown in her... uhm... derriere. So, not at all an ending to be proud of from a marksmanship point of view, but an ending nonetheless. Luckily, the breasts and 1.5 legs were in very edible shape and they are now resting comfortably in my freezer.

So, two early morning alarms and 12 hours of sitting later, I have my first fall turkey. I'm not really sure if waiting in silence is my bag, but I learned a lot and will probably give it a try again next year. It's not at all like spring gobbler hunting (my passion), but I certainly did enjoy the close encounter and another opportunity to take game with my flintlock. :grin:

2016-10-18%20-%20fall%20turkey_zpsbivus9oi.jpg

Nicely done.

I enjoy fall turkey hunting. I walk old logging roads and listen for scratching. Often, crows will be flying down and scolding a flock, and that helps pinpoint their location. Sometimes, you run upon fresh scratching, and can figure out which direction they are headed and then try to circle ahead. I don't worry as much about making noise, because turkeys are more about seeing movement. By the time I locate them they are making more noise than me, so if I can slip into position, without being seen, then I have a chance.

Our season hasn't started yet, but your story and success is getting me fired up.

Turkeys being social flock animals, especially in fall, I've heard of folks to have good luck "busting the flock." They locate a flock, sneak as close as they dare/can, and charge right at them in such a way as to get the birds to scatter in different directions. Then they move several yards in the general direction most of the flock headed but trying to get between the bulk of the flock and the ones who separated and pick a spot to sit like one would in spring. The goal now is to use clucks and "kee-kee" calling to try to get the birds to regroup with you,, or at least work past you to regroup, then shoot one.

I could never figure why how one gets close enough to fully scatter the birds in different directions without being able to just shoot one. Maybe I'll try it this month.

:thumbsup:

Way to go!! Spring Turkey hunting Is my favorite thing too! I have never tried in the Fall because we never had a fall season. I used to call them in while grouse hunting just to see if I could.

Thanks for sharing!! Like Skychief said, Beautiful bird and Gun!

Congrates! :thumbsup: I too, took my first fall turkey this year and the same way as you did, the ambush. I agree, spring gobblers are more exciting. Very nice turkey and beautiful shooter.

Back