• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey hunting with fowlers?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Cloud

32 Cal.
Reaction score
OK just like to know how many of ya hunt turkeys with a blackpowder fowler of some sort? I started last year with a double barrel 10 ga.made by David P and took one on third day of spring gobbler season here in Ohio. If you do hunt I'd also would like to know what type of loads your using and shot. I do not use any plastic power piston wads but elected to use only cardboard.I'd like to even start using something like "Hornet or Wasp"nests next if patterns work out.I only use black powder 3fg but I did put musket nipples and caps which I might go back to #11's.Just trying to go back to a "GREENER" type of hunting. White Cloud :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
White Cloud said:
OK just like to know how many of ya hunt turkeys with a blackpowder fowler of some sort? I started last year with a double barrel 10 ga.made by David P and took one on third day of spring gobbler season here in Ohio. If you do hunt I'd also would like to know what type of loads your using and shot. I do not use any plastic power piston wads but elected to use only cardboard.I'd like to even start using something like "Hornet or Wasp"nests next if patterns work out.I only use black powder 3fg but I did put musket nipples and caps which I might go back to #11's.Just trying to go back to a "GREENER" type of hunting. White Cloud :thumbsup:
.62cal GM Flint smoothbore barrel jug choked 'full'
80grns Goex 3F
Circle Fly lubed cushion wad
120grns #6s
Circle Fly OS card

Well.....I don't know if you want to call it a fowler, but my T/C New Englander has been the only turkey gun that I've used for several years now.

I load it with:
100gr of FFg Goex,
2 T/C natural wads over the powder,
100gr of #5 magnum shot,
& another natural wad over the shot.

I haven't lost a turkey yet using that load.

Bald Mtn.Man,Are you using a 54cal.which would make it a 28ga.? If not what caliber are you using because I would have thought that might be a little light unless your getting those gobblers closer than I can.I've got a custom .54cal. that I thought about trying that but never did because I didn't think I could get enough heavy shot out there for a clean kill.Looks like I might have to take a second look at it.Anybody else use rifle cal's loaded with shot for turkeys out there who would share their load recipes? White Cloud

Most states will not allow the use of a smoothbore that is less than 20 gauge. You get no kind of pattern using shot out of any rifled barrel, beyond about 5 yards. That is usually a bit more handicap for hunting turkey than most hunters are wanting to experience. :shocked2:

I tagged a nice jake a few years back with my fish-bellied fowler. I used 1-1/2 of #6 shot in a wichester 12ga wad, over 70 grs. of 1f. I'm thinking of jug choking it for this spring, so I can eliminate the plastic wad.

White Cloud said:
"...share their load recipes?..."
GM 15/16" x 33" x .54cal Flint smoothbore barrel
HUNTING LOADs ”“ Squirrel/Rabbit/Crow/Turkey

70grns Goex 3F
1/2 of a 1/2" Circle Fly lubed cushion wad
1+3/8oz #5 magnum shot
(use magnum or copper plated #6s for Turkey head shots)
Circle Fly overshot card

Outstanding pattern at 30 yards

I'm sure glad you cleared that up I had it in my head by you saying something not a fowler that you had a .54cal rifle that you were loading like that.I guess I let it slip my mind That T/C New Englander also made the shotgun.Thanks for clearing that up and putting my mind at peace.White Cloud :thumbsup:

12 guage. 90 grains of RS under 120 of number 6's or 5's using a thick nitrocard cardboard wad. My gun is choked, so it makes a great turkey gun out to about 45 yards. I was going to post a picture, but for some reason it isn't working right tonight.

White Cloud said:

Guilty as charged.
I shoot a TVM American fouler in 62 cal.
I had YotieJoe put a sweet full jug choke in it and it's a turky killing mofro.

I shoot 80 grns of ffg goex with a ounce and a quarter of #4 shot
two over powder cards one over shot.

DSCF3003.jpg

turkeyhuntin2006006.jpg

DSCF2260-1.jpg

:thumbsup:

Greenmoutainboy: Can I ask at what distance that nice target was shot? And what size choke did you have put into the gun? What was the distance for the two birds you shot, also? Was the can also shot at the same sitance as the target? If not, what distance?

How do you lube the barrel, or do you, if you are loading it as described? Are you using chilled shot, or magnum shot, or plated shot?

Wow,Greenmtboy your a turkey killing machine.Good looking birds, is you ambushin them or calling them?? One picture looks like your season was either early spring or late fall.Shot pattern looks REAL good on that GOEX can(Hope ya got the powder out first)anyway good job and by the way good looking firearms from what I can see.....White Cloud

paulvallandigham said:
Greenmoutainboy: Can I ask at what distance that nice target was shot? And what size choke did you have put into the gun? What was the distance for the two birds you shot, also? Was the can also shot at the same sitance as the target? If not, what distance?

How do you lube the barrel, or do you, if you are loading it as described? Are you using chilled shot, or magnum shot, or plated shot?

Hay Paul,
The target was shot at 40 yrds, the can was also shot at 40yrds for a simple penitration test.
When testing loads I swab between shots than lube with a deer tallow marmot oil mix.
I shoot only all lead #4 or #6 shot I got at Sportsmans warehouse.
Both birds were shot at about 25 to 30 yrs one was called in one I stalked in on.
Both spring time toms.
CoyoteJoe put a full jugchoke in it for me.
:thumbsup:

White Cloud said:
Wow,Greenmtboy your a turkey killing machine.Good looking birds, is you ambushin them or calling them?? One picture looks like your season was either early spring or late fall.Shot pattern looks REAL good on that GOEX can(Hope ya got the powder out first)anyway good job and by the way good looking firearms from what I can see.....White Cloud

The one bird with out the snow I called in the first weekend of CO's season.
The second was last spring where it snowed 18 inches the day and night before season.
The opening day was hot and sunny but the birds wern't hened up yet and not making any noise so with all the fresh snow I searched high and low until I cut track and just put the sneek on. Was able to get withen 25 or so yards for a shot.
About 30 birds in the flock many big toms was an ausom hunt.

RiverRat said:
Lookin' good GreenMnt. Is that a pistol in your belt? I got a pile of shot up Goex cans out back too. Nice lookin' birds ya got :hatsoff:
Thats my back up it's a 45cal TVM with a Greenmtnbarrel cut down to eight inches, very accurate.
:hatsoff:

Greenmtnboy said:
Both birds were shot at about 25 to 30 yrs.....
Both spring time toms.

Musta been mighty tough eatin' birds at about 25 to 30 yrs!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :blah:

Sorry, I just can't resist pokin' fun, even when it's just a typo. :v

Back