• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey90

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone Turkey hunt with a 56 cal SB? I would like to try mine this turkey season. I am not sure what to load it with. Any suggestions. Thanks

I have one but don't turkey hunt with it(illegal). I don't think I'd trust mine on a turkey past 15 yards.

I don't tell anybody what THEY should use...but I'll tell you what I would use in that strong 1" barrel:

70grn measure of Goex 3F
Two Oxyoke .58cal wool wads
100grn measure of hard magnum #6s
Two .28ga Over Shot cards

22 yards max distance for head/neck shot
POA is middle of the neck

before we get too far, you better check your local hunting regs to make sure it's legal.

Swampy said:
Mass regs don't say minimum gauge, just says shotgun with shot and nothing larger than a 10 gauge.
And if my memory serves me correctly, T/C specifically made the .56cal S/B for a law on the books at one time in one of the New England states...and I think it was Mass.

Well... they made a pretty nice squirrel gun. I just don't see why they didn't make it either a 24 gauge or 28 gauge :idunno:.

I believe in almost all midwest states you must have a minimum of 20 gauge, and nothing larger than 10 gauge.

luie b said:
Well... they made a pretty nice squirrel gun. I just don't see why they didn't make it either a 24 gauge or 28 gauge :idunno:.

Pretty smart marketing ploy actually. Your making a gun that a lot of people really have no choice to buy so why not make it an odd caliber where most have to also buy your packaged balls for it too? Unless they buy a mold to make their own, they are buying everything from you in the beginning. Gun, lube, patches, balls...until other companys start selling balls or molds, your pretty much doing business with T/C.

I recall reading that the .56cal smoothbore size was specifically written into that law...which ultimately contributed to that law being struck down... .550" balls were available from various BP supply sources, never bought any from T/C.

But it sounded good! :haha:

I remember selling 56 cal balls but been so long, no idea from what company, I assumed T/C sold them too. :idunno: I remember when we ended the smoothbore only in 83' everything concerning 56 cal started to get scarce and by 86', 87' we were telling the last few diehards we couldn't get balls any longer.

24 gauge wads and cards do ok in it though. That's all I use. As far as balls and patches go I cut my own pillow ticking and I've found a good roundball load for mine, 95 grains 3fffg black powder, .013 pillow ticking patch, .530 ball. It shoots deer killing consistency at 50 yards. The only problem is that it only has a front sight. Been thinking about maybe getting a rear sight for it though. Except I don't know how I'll do that since it doesn't even have dovetails cut or anything.

The stock TC rear sights are almost always for sale on the more popular auction sites. I love my 56 but I do wish they would have made it a 58 with 3 to 5 inches more barrel. Chris

August West said:
The stock TC rear sights are almost always for sale on the more popular auction sites. I love my 56 but I do wish they would have made it a 58 with 3 to 5 inches more barrel. Chris
But for those who already have one, IMO, the best thing to do with a strong T/C 1"x.56cal S/B barrel is to send it to Ed Rayl and for less than $100 have it bored out to a .62cal(.20ga) smoothbore...much more versatility

Latest posts

Back