• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey opener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All set but I got caught moving my gun when I heard one come in. 12 ga English Fowler I made.

A guy told me yesterday that it was illegal to have a box turtle shell because they are a protected species. Anybody else hear this same thing? My friend told me the game warden confiscated his call and told him he could be fined a hefty fine for having it.

The only way to tell for sure about the shells is to check Alabama law. Crazy Crow sells them, despite objections from some people, so there is likely not a Federal law. I would make or buy a nice pouch for your call so it is out of sight when not being used.

Nice looking setup. Don't know about the shell but made one out of a Vienna sausage can once. :haha: It wasn't as pretty as yours. Hope you get that bird next time. Dan.

The thing about the shell call; once I got the hang of sanding the slate and made just the right sized red cedar striker it makes every turkey sound perfectly.

I am from Bama but hunt just across the line in TN most of the time. I checked with Tn game warden a few days ago and he said my turtle shell call was legal in TN so I am good to go.

I called up a hen yesterday.

I saw my first morrel yesterday, I have never seen one before around here. I also found the hillsides covered with ramps, another plant I had heard of but never noticed in the woods before. I tasted one, onion like, unique taste but it had a peculiar aftertaste.

Brush those log in..cover up your silhouette and bust a big one! You got horizontal lines in a vertical wood line...

The blind has been there for years, everything in the woods is accustomed to it. I have called turkeys in to within 10 yards out of it.

When something comes in all they are going to see is the top of my hat, the business end of my gun and my beady little eyeballs peaking over the top log.

That's why you got busted..

"they saw your head move".....

with a silhouette brake up behind....that won't happen...

Old habits are hard to brake..I get it...

Well, been hunting for 60 years at least, pretty much got it all figured out.

I hunt with a flintlock I made, I don't wear any camo, face covering or such and have game within feet of me using my tactics.

I killed one turkey using all the modern stuff and thought; "whats the point" and adopted my primitive ways.

I am the same with archery, I went the high tech route until 89, changed to traditional then went primitive and have been hunting with an osage selfbow I made for the last 20 years

I might let a few get away but I am there for the hunt not the kill.

Some people will get my point, some won't.

I get it...didn't mean to step on toes...traditional is great..this is how I roll all fall too...Just thinking out loud from a different view....

Had a big box car doe under the branch the arrow tip is at....She rattled me bad that evening.

PA310106_zpsuufsi53r.jpg

Eric Krewson said:

I hunt with a flintlock I made, I don't wear any camo, face covering or such and have game within feet of me using my tactics.

I killed one turkey using all the modern stuff and thought; "whats the point" and adopted my primitive ways.

I am the same with archery, I went the high tech route until 89, changed to traditional then went primitive and have been hunting with an osage selfbow I made for the last 20 years

Sounds peaceful. I like it. :v

Ames said:
Eric Krewson said:

Sounds peaceful. I like it. :v

Amen to that! :thumbsup:

I am in ways a pro but my set us is most usually the same as his pic EXCEPT I SIT IN FRONT OF LOG so I can lean into it (bad back). I have called in toms in a red flannel shirt to 8 yds. Its all about NOT MOVING, dont even blink.

Back