• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey safety

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonpce

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to this forum and don't post much, but a quick reminder. The turkey I shot on Friday(rem. 870) had quit moving and appeared to be dead until I had a foot in each hand. Once the bird quit moving I needed stitches in my left hand and will miss this week of the VA season before I can try and fill a tag with my T/C .32.(I was sure he was dead)

gonpce said:
I'm relatively new to this forum and don't post much, but a quick reminder. The turkey I shot on Friday(rem. 870) had quit moving and appeared to be dead until I had a foot in each hand. Once the bird quit moving I needed stitches in my left hand and will miss this week of the VA season before I can try and fill a tag with my T/C .32.(I was sure he was dead)
A good reminder...

One time, I shot a turkey & picked it up to start carrying it out. It really was dead, but the wings started flapping some more & I caught a wing feather across my left eyeball. My eye watered all the way home & when I looked in the mirror, I had a red bloodshot eye.

You always have to be carefull!

That is why you put your foot on them when you walk up to them. Like poking a deer in the eye to make sure it is dead. :wink:

wvbuckbuster said:
That is why you put your foot on them when you walk up to them. Like poking a deer in the eye to make sure it is dead. :wink:
exactly
:thumbsup:

A good reminder indeed. Also, please don't forget that other hunters are out there and do the strangest things. Yesterday I was nearly run over by another hunter and his son as they were running up to see the hen(ME!) they had heard calling. I whistled at them when they were about 20 yards out and trotting down a deer trail toward me and my hunting partner. They kept coming until I stood when they were 10 yards away. I was afraid one or both might see the decoy we had set out and shoot my partner.

Here in Indiana, a young teen somehow shot his Grandpa while turkey hunting recently. They had to airlift him to Cincinati(sp) as he was in bad shape. Details are sketchy about how he was shot.

Be careful and remember: when you hear a hen, assume it is ALWAYS another hunter and be darn careful about using gobble calls and jake/gobbler decoys!

That is why I hardly call anymore. I have not heard a legitimate hen call in 3-4 years. I have seen hens, they just don't seem to vocalize with yelping at a level that I can hear. (They do alarm put when they pick me off though). The hens where I hunt seem to just find the gobbler the same way I did and they just appear out of nowhere when they are ready to be bred. Whenever I hear hen yelping from a distance it is pretty much a cinch bet that it is a hunter. If I have noticed this it is logical to assume the adult toms are on to it too.

Latest posts

Back