• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey season over!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well In NM, today is the last day of spring Turkey. My life has been so crazy this season, I never even got a license! This is the first time in 10 years that I do not hunt spring Turkey! :shocked2: I know I'm not the only one to have this happen, and misery loves company.

To all of you who still have time in the woods chasing the old long beard.. Good Luck!!

Keep yer powder dry!!
Keep sharing pictures!!!

Hasn't been a good season here for me...only seen / heard 2-3...have had one close enough through thick brush to get glimpses of his beard but never clear enough to get off a shot.
Tomorrow's my last day in NC...planning to drag myself out of bed at 4:30am one last time.

I understand y'alls suffering. My season got cancelled, so never got a chance to go out. Oh well, the turkeys got a break, but the hogs haven't.

roundball said:
Hasn't been a good season here for me...only seen / heard 2-3...have had one close enough through thick brush to get glimpses of his beard but never clear enough to get off a shot.
Tomorrow's my last day in NC...planning to drag myself out of bed at 4:30am one last time.

Roundball, good luck tomorrow! Are you using a round ball load this Spring? If so, I wonder if you would have got that bird with a shot load in the thick stuff?????? :idunno:

Good luck, Skychief.

roundball said:

Skychief said:
Are you using a round ball load this Spring? If so, I wonder if you would have got that bird with a shot load in the thick stuff??????

Yes, wanted to take a turkey with a PRB out of my 28ga...but to be honest if I'd been hunting the 20ga / shot loads I still wouldn't have taken the shot.
I was faced one way looking out into a good open section, and I heard a few clucks behind me...slowly looked around and caught glimpses of him moving slowly along with a few hens on the other side of a very thick section of brush that was just a maze of 1-2" diameter brush trunks.
I kept waiting to see if they'd curl around the end of the brushy section and come into better view but they fed on off in the other direction.

Hate to hear that you've had a bad season, I've been there before. This year in our part of VA my son and I have heard birds almost every time in the woods and we have one week left. Hoping to shoot a bird this week with the .32

Sorry ya didnt get to go. I killed 2 birds this year but it was still the worst season in my 35 yrs of turkey hunting. I didnt hear but a few birds but on a good note I did call in a bunch of different jakes at different times so next yr they should be rattling the leaves off the trees around here. I have also seen quite a few hens while out on my route daily so we got turkeys they just didnt talk to me much this yr. It was about the same for all my turkey hunting friends also. Hope you get to make up for it next yr :hatsoff:

It was about the same for all my turkey hunting friends also.
Same way for most everyone checking across the state of NC on a the hunting forum I spend most of my time on.
Our spring was much colder and longer than usual, with a lot of rainy days...some wonder if that might be the common denominator at least in our state.

Still got a day left to hunt in TN, It has been open since the end of March. I think I am going out for one last try. I have been too busy to go but a couple of times.

wattlebuster said:
Hope you get to make up for it next yr :hatsoff:

Its only and 18 hour drive! maybe I can hit all the states from NM to AL next year!! Wouldn't That be a hoot!! I guess it will be squirrels and grouse for me this fall!! Maybe I'll try for a bear!!

Back