• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Tick Prevention ??????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody here have a method of keeping these little devils where they belong (off a man's body)????? I have been covered with literally hundreds, if not, thousands of these pests on a couple of hunts this early season :surrender: . Please, please, please let us know if you have suggestions that have worked for you! Many thanks and best regards, Skychief.

Commercial strength Permetherin...I order it, mix it up in a dedicated 2 gallon tank sprayer, lay out the clothes and boots I'm going to wear in the drive way and soak them...hang them up to dry...very rarely have a tick get on me.

Then one place where I sit every year off the corner of a small greenfield that I can get to easily, I drove to it just before dark the night before the season opener, and using the sprayer saturated a 10' x 10' area of leaves where I sit and the tree trunk I lean against.

First of all, don't shoot the Turkeys...they eat the ticks. But I suppose when your turkey hunting thats really not an option.

Could fill the area with Guinea fowl...they eat tons of ticks. But they'll only end up driving ya nuts so your better off taking roundballs advice and getting Commercial strength Permetherin.

I usually use the commercial spray and tie my pants cuffs tightly. That will at least slow them down. Then at the end of the day, do a tick search. This works really well if you are hunting with your wife or significant other! Came home after being on a rendezvous over the long Memorial Day weekend and didn't find a tick until the following day, was pretty well dug in and inflamed. Went to the DR. and he said that you can't get Lyme's disease from Bear ticks. WRONG!!. In July I had a high fever for 5 days, chills and uncontrollable shaking at night, thought I had the flu but no other symptoms, had blood work done and guess what? Lyme's. So, spray good, take precautions and be careful.

:applause: Got my old woman to do a tick search on me about 4 years ago and she spent about two hours trying to pull a mole off my a**. Never do that again. :cursing: :cursing: Vern

Take a swig of apple cider vinegar day before you go into the woods.

mazo kid said:
I usually use the commercial spray and tie my pants cuffs tightly. That will at least slow them down. Then at the end of the day, do a tick search. This works really well if you are hunting with your wife or significant other! Came home after being on a rendezvous over the long Memorial Day weekend and didn't find a tick until the following day, was pretty well dug in and inflamed. Went to the DR. and he said that you can't get Lyme's disease from Bear ticks. WRONG!!. In July I had a high fever for 5 days, chills and uncontrollable shaking at night, thought I had the flu but no other symptoms, had blood work done and guess what? Lyme's. So, spray good, take precautions and be careful.

Consider yourself lucky, most people have to take the test several times before a positive reading.

Hoyt said:

What's with the ACV? I've been a fan for years for keeping healthy and to help with arthritis, but tic control is a new one. Please elaborate.

Chilidog said:
Hoyt said:

What's with the ACV? I've been a fan for years for keeping healthy and to help with arthritis, but tic control is a new one. Please elaborate.

Chiggers have been eating me up everytime I go in the woods. I have to walk about 3/4mi. through high grass to get to the woods. I've tried Tick Defense spay, Deet Spray, powdered sulfur and none of it even phased them. I been seeing on another forum where several people have been saying to take one shot of Apple Cider Vinegar day before going in the woods. One guy said he's been preaching this till he's blue in the face and if you want to spray poison on yourself go ahead, but the Vinegar will work. I tried it this morning got one squirrel and no chiggers.

Sure does work. You sweat it out and they dont seem to like the taste of it. I know a couple of people that use flea collars on thier ankles. Never tried that myself. But do use the ACV.

Hoyt said:
Chilidog said:
Hoyt said:

Chiggers have been eating me up everytime I go in the woods. I have to walk about 3/4mi. through high grass to get to the woods. I've tried Tick Defense spay, Deet Spray, powdered sulfur and none of it even phased them. I been seeing on another forum where several people have been saying to take one shot of Apple Cider Vinegar day before going in the woods. One guy said he's been preaching this till he's blue in the face and if you want to spray poison on yourself go ahead, but the Vinegar will work. I tried it this morning got one squirrel and no chiggers.

Cool... thanks for the tip.

Another good reason to live in Alaska, no ticks,no snakes, but we do have 28 kinds of mosquitoes!!! But they so far carry no diseases.

Back