• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Trek

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm baaack. Miss me? I just returned from a three day turkey hunt.
I parked my truck at a friend's home down in the Bullet Creek Valley, loaded my gear on my back, and headed up Hogback Ridge. Every now and then I would stop and do some turkey calling.
I slowly made my way up the ridge, connected with the old logging road that leads down past my deer blind, and then I dropped off into "The Basin". Down in that hollow, I made my camp on the headwaters of Basin Creek. Good water, and plenty of firewood.
I never made contact with any turkey that first day.
Day two. I talked with two different tom turkeys. The first one was across a deep ravine from me. He kept gobbling for a half hour, or so, but he refused to cross the ravine. Finally, he got quiet, and I never heard from him again. Later, another tom gobbled from a ridge top. I sprinted up there as fast as I could and laid down behind a log before I started clucking. Nothing. I think that old boy already had a hen or two with him.
Late that evening, I heard a turkey fly up into a big hemlock, near my deer blind.
That night I heard Bigfoot! It was about 9:30 PM. I had let my campfire die down to embers, and I had just crawled under my blanket when suddenly I heard; "HooHooHooHooHooHooHoo". The sound came rapid fire. It sounded more like a chimpanzee rather than like an owl. I've heard plenty of owls, but never one like that.
I had put a couple of spoonfuls of macaroni and cheese on a rock about 50 yards from my camp. This morning it was gone. So, I guess Bigfoot likes macaroni and cheese. :grin:
At dawn this morning I was in my deer blind, hoping to meet the turkey that roosted nearby last night. Nothing. I'm sure that I was there early enough before it flew down, but I never heard a thing.
Took the rest of the day hunting my way back down the mountain. Nothing.
But, I had fun. Found plenty of deer and wild pig sign.

As for that bird roosted in the tree - maybe Bigfoot likes turkey with his macaroni. :rotf:

That was the mating laugh of the owl you heard. The female no doubt. :grin:

Congrats on getting out there after them!
Wess

thats great campin. fun going over night aint it. ive heard some, sometimes unexplainable things in the woods. specially way back in.

Back