• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkeys and plowed fields?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been watching a tom and his hens in a certain field for the past few weeks. Today, the field was plowed. The season opens in a day and a half.

I hope the birds will come back to use this field. What's your experience turkey hunting freshly turned over fields?

Like many years, heavy rains are forecasted for the first 2 days of the season. That may help as our turkeys love to use fields in the rain.

Thanks for your thoughts, Skychief

It depends on a lot of other factors...Usually I have observed that they will change their patterns when disrupted by agricultural activity.
If it was planted with something tasty and food is scarce they might forage the field.......other times when I have seen them approach a fresh plowed field they just quickly cross it to get where they are going...they may even fly across.

Both deer and turkeys can be extremely predictable until Mr. farmer comes along. Tilling, harvesting and manure spreading will all disrupt their normal patterns.

Turkeys LOVE plowed fields. All those worms, grubs and parts. I have had wild turkeys come into my garden plot beside the barn after I tilled.

And spread manure has seeds and undigested stuff and lots of lovely red worms. I've seen them follow manure spreaders.

Its been about 12 years since one has come into the yard. I've been watching this hen eating worms on the drive to the barn for the last 1/2 hr.
3 days ago it was 75 degrees out 2 days ago we got 8" snow, yesterday rain high of 34 degrees. Today 35 and snow. Wanted to be hunting this week but the weather has been frightful. The forecast isn't looking good either. Maybe her boyfriend will show up.

Jerry

Like Clyde said, many factors and there's no for sure answer. They certainly aren't going to avoid a plowed field in particular, just might not hang out as long if there's better eats somewhere else. If'n it were me, I'd get in early and scout/listen for gobbling on the roost to find out where they are and see if their pattern has changed.

them critters aint stupid. they love free meals. that's why I see them in the campground areas. lots od left overs and they must know you cant shoot them there

Back