• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkeys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark/wi

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Out today for turkeys, but they would not give me a shot. Maybe tomorrow will be better, this shot gun needs to be broken in with a nice fat tom. We saw a few of them. Mark

I was lucky enough to bag a tom on opening day, but I've hunted pretty hard for 3 days since and so far the big toms are eluding me. Could have shot jakes today, but am holding out. Have seen a tom everyday out, but just can't get one close enough for the flinter. Sat for a total of 6 hours today in hail, which changes to snow, and then to rain. I think trying to outsmart a turkey is starting to damage my brain. :youcrazy:

We saw three jakes pick a fight with a tom today. It looked like the youngsters were running him off, but he was just waiting for his chance and he turned and jumped on one of the jakes and that jake left limping. Smart old guy won that battle.

Oh, and we also passed a line of about 8 nice shiny cars all driving 5 mph down the dirt road we were travelling on, with cameras and binoculars bristling from every window like tiny battleships. Bird watchers... we saw them at the restaurant with their binoculars and bird books, talking excitedly about a red throated something-or-other. I'll bet they've never seen something really interesting, like wild turkeys fighting - that would involve getting out of their cars. :rotf:

Back