• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turtle Shell Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chingachgook

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings ya'll

Here's a pic of my latest project. Box turtle shell bag with deer skin back and flap, white heart bead edging and red deer hair tin cones. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
turtlebag2.jpg
[/img]

~Chingachgook

Stay the Course

Awesome! Great job! :)

Just a suggestion, though.....next time how about putting something in the photo so that we can get an idea of the relative size, such as a quarter, small ruler, dollar bill, ect. Turtles come in many sizes! ::

One Feather,

From the research I've done, I believe it is a red ear turtle... just a guess though...

~chingach

Yes!!,
Very nice!I agree with 16 Gauge.I would like to see it along side something to be better able to tell it's size.

Verry nice bag ! I saw a medicne pouch made out of a small cooter shell.Did you buy your shell or get it your self ? It is certainly diffrent as you mostly see lether and beads and Hawken and Pensylvania Guns its nice to see somthing diffrent.Cool bag!

Halftail,

Heres another copy of the bag with scale for size... ill remember that for future posts.

~chingach

TurtBagwScale.jpg
[/img]

Thanks Chingachook,
Reason I asked to see what size is that I gave a friend that makes "stuff"...you know horns,Bags...things of that nature,I gave him a shell just like that yesterday.
I might tell him of this post and your pics here.
Thanks again....1/2

Neat. I bought one from an Indian when I attended a conference in Washington, D. C. The Indians were concurrently holding the S.E. Indian Tribal Conference and theirs was the more interesting of the two. I gave mine to my niece who likes turtles. She was a bit hesitant when I described it over the telephone but when she saw it, she loved it.

I haaaaaave a strange question to put on this line of site.
What is, if any, documentation of "turtle bags" being used in the "old days"?????????? Or is it just that they look good and we like to make them? :what:

Le Serptile-
Very cool!
The folks from Gucci will be contacting you shortly.
Longshot :thumbsup:

Greetings ya'll

Here's a pic of my latest project. Box turtle shell bag with deer skin back and flap, white heart bead edging and red deer hair tin cones. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
~Chingachgook

VERY nice work, Chingachgook!
Here's one I made a few years ago, to go with my powwow regalia:
PH-myturtlepursefrontnback.jpg

It's out of a red-eared slider turtle shell, which is what I think yours is. True box turtles are land tortoises, and have a higher domed shell and the bottom half of the shell will close up completely in front. Water turtles have fixed bottom shells, not hinged. I cut mine to make that "hinge" in back, and sewed it up with sinew, so the top closes. Mine's about 7 inches long (shell only, not counting fringe) by about 5" wide, more or less.

One of the things I simultaneously love and hate about mine, is that it's kinda hard to get your hand in and out of it - but that means you spend less money at powwows and 'voos!! :youcrazy: :crackup:
Keep up the good work!
Patsy

Back