• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Tennessee takes another one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootemup

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Third day of modern rifle season, so I carried a rifle built in 2010 - a TVM Tennessee rifle in .40 flintlock. :grin:

The hunting has actually been kinda hard, to tell the truth. This doe finally gave me a broadside shot at about 25 yards. It was a heart shot - lots of blood, and total pass through. That little .395 roundball flattened out bigger than I would have thought.

HPIM0386.jpg

HPIM0385.jpg

I've already put three deer into the freezer, so this one will go to an elderly friend who loves venison but can't get out anymore.

I have one more tag, but doubt I'll use it unless my son doesn't get a deer. That's a distinct possibility too, busy as he is these days with school stuff.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Yeah, what load, and let us see the ball.
I'm elderly and will be your friend for some meat! :haha:

Trench said:
How much powder did you put behind your ball? :thumbsup:
Hi Trench,

I'm using 65 grains of 3f Goex under a .395 ball in a lubed .015 cotton patch.

Mike, I didn't recover the ball, as it was a complete pass-through.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Not to start an argument, but you said "the ball really flattened out." I thought you recovered it. Sorry.

Mike Brines said:
Not to start an argument, but you said "the ball really flattened out." I thought you recovered it. Sorry.
No problem Mike, I can see how you got that idea from what I said. I was referring to the size of the exit wound, wouldn't have thought I could hammer the ball that flat. :grin:

Great shot Spot!...Impressed with your 40! Great idea on sharing the take too!. Your having a awesome season. Thanks for sharing.

Fine do'ins Spot; Gotta love them 40's. I used mine last season to take two deer, a button buck and a doe. I'm shootin 50gr-3f and a 395RB. The button was quarter on at 45yds and the doe was broadside at 71yds. Both were pass through's. Neither deer ran more than 35yds.

Back