• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1858 New Army nipples- what other 1858 cylinders do they fit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bczrx

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an 1858 cylinder that is not an antique but I don't know what it is from. Uberti 1858 Nipples thread in just fine, and the nipples on it fit into the Uberti 1858 cylinder just fine.

I am tempted to just say 'Oh, it is an older Uberti 1858 cylinder', but wanted to see if some other company [maybe now defunct] made an 1858 replica and used the same nipples as the Uberti 1858.

Does anyone know of any other company that used Uberti nipples in their 1858 revolver?

thank you

Check Track of the Wolf's website nipple section. They give a complete/accurate as far as I know guide of what revolvers-rifles/manufacturers take as far as nipple thread, length, etc and what is interchangeable. FWIW Uberti and Pietta cylinders aren't interchangeable from model to model. I have read what the difference is between Uberti and Pietta Colt and Remington models, more than likely doing a search here and other forums would give you that info.

Check Track of the Wolf's website nipple section. They give a complete/accurate as far as I know guide of what revolvers-rifles/manufacturers take as far as nipple thread, length, etc and what is interchangeable. FWIW Uberti and Pietta cylinders aren't interchangeable from model to model. I have read what the difference is between Uberti and Pietta Colt and Remington models, more than likely doing a search here and other forums would give you that info.

Thanks! I just looked there and the only 1858 they list is Uberti. I was just wondering if there might have been any other 1858s using it as well.

I have found the Pietta 1858 cylinder longer and a bit narrower than the Uberti or Remington 1858 cylinders, to the point the Pietta cylinder wouldn't fit the Uberti or Remington 1858 frames I had access to [length] and the narrowness of the cylinder made me think the Pietta was designed around the 36 caliber frame instead of a 44 caliber frame. I am also trying to figure out if an Uberti cylinder will work safely in a Remington frame, as they have the same length, index properly and I think the cylinder chamber is aligned properly with the barrel- but the Remington cylinder is about .010" wider. It also might have cylinder walls .005" wider at the chambers outer edge than the Uberti.

I have read that Uberti used US threading and Pietta metric. I do know that their nipples do not interchange.

now I could be wrong....

I have read that Uberti used US threading and Pietta metric. I do know that their nipples do not interchange.

now I could be wrong....
You are correct. All my Ubertis are #12-28 (.216" diameter) thread, while the Piettas are 6mm-.75 thread.

My ASM's are also 12-28, and are really close in length, but a little larger dia to Uberti. The Uberti cylinder fits and shoots in my ASM's. ASM's cylinders tight in Uberti frame. My Pietta cylinders are M6 x .75 And would take some milling to work in the Uberti or ASM. Might be worth it, half the price of Uberti cylinder.

Latest posts

Back