• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1860 Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpcenter52

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got a 1860 army from uberti, and I was wondering 1) how much powder 2) what size ball, I've heard .454? Thanks and what a beautiful gun.

Uberti guns like the larger balls so .454 sounds right. Powder charges can range any where between 20 to 35 grains. Charges of 25 to 30 will probably be most accurate. Wonder wads over the powder charge are handy and reduce the risk of a multiple discharge. I have used both wads and crisco and haven't had a multiple discharge yet. Good luck, I know you will have fun.

Don

Whatever powder charge you use just make sure that there is no air space between the charge and the ball- you can use a filler of cornmeal to take up any extra space under the ball.

Does it matter what kind of measure you have,because i have a measure that is commonly used for a muzzleloader (the kind with the top that spins to put the powder in and the tip is pointed)and i know there is a revlover measure, are they the same?

You want the powder measure that is marked in 5 grain increments, from 5-120 grains, and comes with the pouring spout built-in (the part that turns into place to cover the powder).

As far as the powder charge goes, I recommend a 25 grain charge of 3Fg Goex, a wonder-wad, and a .454 Hornady ball. At 50 yards distance, shot strong-hand only on a 50 yard NRA Slow-Fire Pistol Target, I was able to shoot (3) 10's and garner a total score of 82 on my first attempt with the 1860 Army Colt by Uberti. And that's from 150 feet away! Those little pistols are darn accurate!

A friend of mine uses only 20 grains, but I think that 25 is much better, since I don't shoot cereal, and I like to compact the charge with the loading lever, without breaking the teeth in the loading lever or barrel. So 25 feels right to me, and the results prove it!

Good luck shooting yours!

Dave

lpcenter52 said:
What about cap size, ive heard 10 or u could pinch 11s

:thumbsup: Most of the Italian replicas use #10 caps. I and my son have six revolvers, including a Pietta 1858 New Model Army Buffalo with 12" barrel. All six use #10's. I don't dry-fire my revolvers so no problems with mushroomed nipples causing caps not to fit, and no need to pinch caps in hot or COLD weather :wink: .

Dave

congrats on your new revolver! i've always held that the 1860 is the single most graceful handgun design ever made, made even more so if you can find a partially rebated cylinder.

i also do the wonder wad and crisco deal, and i do shoot a bit of cereal: you'll need to fill the cylinder with cereal (i use instant grits- being a %^&! yankee, this is the only reason i have for the use of grits) and then measure (by volume... always by volume) the overall volumetric capacity of your cylinder. then do the arithmatec and subtract out the volume of the ball (including the volume of the top of the ball) so now you know how much room there is with the ball seated just shy of flush with the top of the cylinder. Then just divvy up that volume between the powder charge and the cereal. i put a milk carton wad or two between the powder and the grits, then i even out the level with a bit of dowel, then a wonder wad, then the ball. if you do it right, you should just barely compress the whole deal when you ram the ball home into the cylinder.

sounds a bit cumbersome, but if you get a rythm going it shouldn't take all that long to reload. (it's not about how fast you can shoot another load... if that's all you want, get a high capacity 9mm and blast away but be careful- too much of that might end up with you having your hat on sideways, holding your weapon 90 degrees off angle, and your pants dropped halfway down your butt... bad joke).

i'd give up the bad joke is i could shhot halfway as well as that other fellow, though.

good luck, go forth, make good smoke!

Good luck finding caps, by the way...

I just ordered two cases from Midway...they'll be in.....sometime (supposedly within a couple of weeks...we'll see). I got about a tin and a half of Remington #10 caps that will tide me over pretty well.

I also just ordered myself a cheaper Pietta 1860 from Cabela's. I wanna chop this sucker off to look like this one:

2717.jpg

:wink:

I am told you can shoot up to 40 grains of powder in this thing. Whether or not that is so, I can't say...ain't got mine yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stophel said:
Good luck finding caps, by the way...

I just ordered two cases from Midway...they'll be in.....sometime (supposedly within a couple of weeks...we'll see). I got about a tin and a half of Remington #10 caps that will tide me over pretty well.

I also just ordered myself a cheaper Pietta 1860 from Cabela's. I wanna chop this sucker off to look like this one:

2717.jpg

:wink:

I am told you can shoot up to 40 grains of powder in this thing. Whether or not that is so, I can't say...ain't got mine yet.

You most likely can shoot 40 grains in it, but not burn 40 grains in it. :haha: Bet it would be a great light show at night though. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back