• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti Remington 1858 .44 cap & ball Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixie Slugs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone out there shooting/hunting with one of these. I traded for a new one last summer......changed sights some.....hunted during the Florida ML season.....killed a medium size hog.....James

Don't have one but read an artical about a fella that hunts deer with one. Says the powder charge he uses puts the gun into the 44/40 class ballistically and is accurate out to about 50 yards. What kind of powder charge can you put in yours? Have any ballistic data on it?

Don

Wouldn't be a legal muzzle loader in Colorado. I expect that 44-40 ballistics is not far wrong but that also would not qualify under Colorado DOW regs, small game only. :shake:

That would be a no-no here in CT. The regs state a minimum of .45 caliber shotgun/rifle muzzleloader for deer. Handguns are not OK for deer season.

But beyond 25 yards, I would never use that combination for an animal the size of a deer. No matter how good of a shot you are, thats way down on the lower limit to be taking deer size game. :imo:

It may be legal since the measurements are 45 rather than .44 and the projectiles all start out at .451 and over.

Here we go again! I really don't care whether your state allows the gun or not! What I asked was has anyone used one.
To answer the question as to what load.......25 grs (by volume) of Triple 7, a pure lead .454" round ball with a Oxyoke patch between the ball and powder, Boe Butter over the ball. I have not run it over the crony yet, but expect that 18" barrel to pick up some velocity.
Years ago I carried an original 1858 Remington as a backup while ML hunting. On more than one occasion used it close in for Florida deer. Unless you have seen what a pure lead ball will do out of the handgun you can only guess as to how effective it is. My regular ML is a .50 TC Grey Hawk, but I use the little Remington as a boat gun and walking gun. Shots 50 yards and less........James

dixie i own one and it is verry acurate out to 50 yd with 454 ball 30g 3f 777 crisco and bees wax over ball also have a kirst 45 long colt conversion for it but it is more acurate with balls just dont have to clean at the end of the day with smokeless i have never taken a deer with it but if i had the chance (25 yds broadside) i wouldent give it a second thought just aim at sholder and let it rip

Back