• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Uberti Remington I haven’t fired it yet . My middle finger touches the back of the trigger guard, since I intend to use it for deer, average range is less than 40 yds I intend to load it heavy with a 200 grn WFN slug. I wonder if there is anything I can do to protect my finger?

I have an 1858 Pietta Remington 44 That was bothering my knuckle joint pretty bad using a full grip. I did the little finger under the grip hold and it helped a lot with heavier loads. Today though I decided to open up that space behind the trigger guard. I'm using a drum sander from Harbor Freight on my drill press, but you could just use a handheld electric drill with the gun in a vise for support. A 1" diameter grinding stone cylinder works great too. It's the only way I've found searching for a permanent fix. Brownell's Dicropan T-4 is a good deep black finish that matches well after sanding and polishing the ground down grip frame. I removed the mainspring screw and trigger guard first and watch the area the spring screw sits in as to not go too deep there. The frame edge is pretty wide there and it takes a while to grind. Open up till it feels good and sand the wood grip edges to match the new profile. The walnut grips look better after stripping and refinishing to me. Here is a picture so far.

Attachments

• IMG_E3002.JPG
    IMG_E3002.JPG
    304.3 KB
Last edited:
Van's got a good idea there, nice work. Keep in mind, you'll only need to shoot once or twice at a deer, so it shouldn't be an issue. Sighting in will be a different story, though.
Can you please show pics of mould or bullets? I'm a cast bullet junkie, I love seeing what everyone is using.
Thanks, and good luck to you.

It doesn't help with the one you've got, but Dixie Gun Works offers a Pietta 1858 Remington with larger grip and frame that would have made that problem moot. I have one and like it very much.

I finished grinding the grip pictured above. Only changing the arc of the grip behind the trigger guard by about 1/8" off the curve made a big difference in the comfort for the middle finger knuckle. I can still take off more if I need to as there's still plenty metal there. The T-4 solution is a great match to the original.

Attachments

• IMG_3011.JPG
    IMG_3011.JPG
    195.6 KB
Last edited:
It doesn't help with the one you've got, but Dixie Gun Works offers a Pietta 1858 Remington with larger grip and frame that would have made that problem moot. I have one and like it very much.
I’ve tried the Pietta and it doesn’t do much for me but when your fingers are the size and shape of Johnsonville bratwurst… well, there’s no much you can do with the Remington platform. I have one Pietta Shooter left in the safe. Might tear into that one.

I finished grinding the grip pictured above. Only changing the arc of the grip behind the trigger guard by about 1/8" off the curve made a big difference in the comfort for the middle finger knuckle. I can still take off more if I need to as there's still plenty metal there. The T-4 solution is a great match to the original.
That’s pretty much what Remington did back in the day. The 1875 grip has at least a quarter inch more room between the front strap and the trigger guard. The 1890 has even more than that!
IMG_2540.jpeg

Back