• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti Walker, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd MDL Dragoon differences

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, Know the difference between the Walker and the others (longer cylinder, no loading lever latch) but what is the difference between the Dragoon models? The Dixie catalog lists the 1st model as having oval cylinder stop notices, the 2nd as having rectangular cylinder stop notches, and the 3rd as having rectangular cylinder stop notches, a round trigger guard, and cut for a shoulder stock. Are there other differences between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Dragoon Models? And then where does the Whitneyville Model Dragoon come in? What makes it different?
I am planning on buying a Dragoon as a shooter so I believe I want the 2nd or 3rd model for the rectangular cylinder stop notches but am open to suggestions on which would be better as a "shooter." Are there any differences in taking them apart? I am partial to the look of the square trigger guard and am leaning toward the 2nd Model.
Thanks in advance,
sharps54

May I suggest this link to the source: www.uberti.com . Click on the black powder revolvers page and then by clicking on eack model, a close-up sharp photo will appear! The text on their site also explains all of the differences amongst the revolvers, right down to the order of production, i.e.: Walker, Whitneyville Dragoon, 1st model Dragoon, etc., etc. You'll find it quite easy and informative, I'm sure. Just don't drool too much on the keyboard :shake: , as the photos are that good! :rotf:

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as disassembly, I believe they are all similar, so no problem there. The Whitneyville-Hartford, also known as the Transition model, ca. 1847, was a combination of design improvements and leftover Walker parts. It was a scaled down Walker and the first model mfd. in Hartford.
1st mdl Dragoon- oval cylinder stop slots, square back trigger guard, ca. 1848-50
2nd mdl. Dragoon - rectangular cylinder stop slots with tiny arched guide grooves, square back trigger guard, ca.1850-51
3rd mdl Dragoon - oval cylinder stop slots, round trigger guard, ca.1851-61
All models had one piece grips and weighed 4#-2 oz..
Emery

I had a pistol called the 3rd model Dragoon Officer's Horse Pistol. It had three leaf sights with the lowest setting being even with the hammer notch. Supposedly, it was regulated for 100, 200, and 300 yards with a cylinder of powder and a ball on top. I have not been able to find documentation for that model of Dragoon, but the gun was used for many years and had several thousand shots fired.
If you use heavy loads, the lever will still come down. Advantage Dragoon, but not much over the Walker. They both should have a thong or rubber band if using heavy loads when speed might count. Barrel length goes to the Walker. Weight is nuetral since they both need a gunbearer to pack them for you. Loaded with 40 grains of 3f under a 250 REAL, my Dragoon would shoot ragged holes at 30 yards off a good pistol rest. The three leaf sights worked out great with a post and bead front sight. With the 250, at 100 yards it would shoot as well as you could hold with the third leaf up. It was capable of cleanly taking deer sized game within 50 yards.
I carried mine for years a few days a season. Then the weight would become too much hassle and it would get left at the house.
A carry pistol for the woods should not weigh over 4 pounds before you load it, IMHO. On the other side of the argument, if you have it with you, it will do any job a pistol is good for, and do it well! They make very nice target revolvers, but I have never seen another with the rear sight mine had. I never could shoot as well off the hammer notch.
Hope that helps! Have a nice day!

Thanks for the responses so far. Smokin .50 thanks for the link, I don't know why I didn't look there first. I guess I am sick of being disappointed at foriegn company's websites. :hmm:

I think I'll go with the 2nd Model, I like the look of the square trigger guard and think the rectangular cylinder will be better suited to the occasional cowboy action match.

Sharps54,

I don't recall if I showed you my Walker when you came over last year, but it is a handful. It's blast to shoot, but I'm sure you'll enjoy a dragoon.

ndnchf,
Yep, you did show it to me last year. I'll have to email you so we can get together for that range trip. Since we met I have picked up a .44-40 Henry, a 1889 Remington 10 gauge side by side, a pair of Pietta 1858 Remington Navy revolvers, a Pietta 1862 "Army Police" with the .36 C&B cylinder & a Kirst .38 BP cartridge cylinder, and a MVTC .62 smoothbore double barrel fint lock pistol. You might not like the last so much as it is more of a pirate gun but I am looking forward to playing with it.

Back to the Dragoons, I am hoping to pick one up with part of my tax return so it will be interesting to compare it to the Walker. Are the mainsprings different between the Walker and the later model Dragoons? On the Uberti website the grips on the Whinteyville Dragoon and Walker look different then the ones on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd model Dragoons. I thought I remembered a thread about the Walker needing a special vise to take the mainspring out but I don't remember if the later model Dragoons needed it or not.

You have been busy building up your arsenal :thumbsup: Sounds like lot of fun irons. Now that the NVGC range is back open, I've been shooting a Brown Bess flintlock lately. Your double barrel flintlock pistol will be right at home :grin:

Not sure about the mainspring interchangeability, but you should be able to compare part numbers on the VTI parts website.

The Walker definitely needs some mechanical 'help' to remove and reinstall the mainspring. The Dragoons do not as they have a tensioning screw in the grip frame.

Here's a pictorial comparison:
650.jpg

P1140022.jpg

My 1st Model Dragoon has the Walker type U-shaped mainspring that must be clamped off during disassembly. My 2nd model has the 3rd model and later type flat spring.

Back