• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unbreakable obsidian knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickD

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I wanted something primitive looking and couldnt find any knapped flint blades,had to get obsidian..Broke one blade before I even got started and found out fast how fragile obsidian is..Heres what can be done with a 1/4" piece of 1095 steel and a small air grinder with a carbide tip..Top knife is made from 1095 steel,bottom knife is obsidian..Top knifes blade was blued,buffed and acid etched and buffed again to give it a obsidian shine..Added a deer antler handle and beat up brass guard

2884473100063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

2151406980063404498S600x600Q85.jpg

:thumbsup: wish you would have brought with when you you were here :grin:

Very cool! Planning on starting a new line with that one? I am a big fan of a brass guard so don't take this the wrong way. I think it would look more primitative done like the Obsidian knife below it. I must say if you hadn't told me though, from the pic I would have guessed both Obsidian! :bow: :thumbsup:

I added the guard because I`m going to use the knife and didnt want my hand slipping off the handle..I was thinking of using a piece of antler for a guard,maybe next time..

Awsome imagination. :thumbsup: How does it cut,and what would you sharpen it,both.
I'm gonna have to learn how to knap one of these days.......

Twice B...

I used as belt grinder to sharpen the blade top and bottom,seems to hold an edge pretty good

left overs???
Do you mean can I make another? I`m going to make a couple of neck knives something like the one above

RickD,
Thats a fine piece of work, thanks for posting it for the rest of us to see. That is very imaginitive also. That is one reason I love this forum, fellows are always coming up with new ideas as well as the knowledgeable pards out there with a treasure trove of tried and true ways, and always willing to share. Keep posting your new work Rick.
Gene

Not hard to do but takes alot of time..small high speed air grinder and a carbide bit..After oil quenching it was a bear to clean up..Maybe someday with Claudes permission I`ll do a knife give away,done that on another site..I seldom sell a knife but give them to friends or people that want a decent knife..Besides I`m still learning

I believe serrations do not belong on a knife, BUT , that is one I would proudly carry. Thanks for the photos. :thumbsup:

Nice knife, and some great work.

Yeah, true knapped flint knives are notoriously fragile - and obsidian is even more brittle. They look great, but are mostly for show.

A few years ago, one company started making something pretty similar. As I recall (faulty memory) they called them Flint Steel Knives. They were made of steel, and were ground to look like chipped flint. I remember seeing pictures in an issue of Blade magazine my buddy had. At first they looked like cast steel blades because they looked so consistant and even in the knapped/flaked pattern. But the article said they were carefully ground in with an angle grinder. Still a lot of work, but the look/style is pretty cool.

Great work.

Mike

Back