• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

unbridled frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old hop

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking at a french musket from loyalist this week and noticed that it has an unbridled frizzen. I have heard bad things about that type of frizzen. Anybody have any experience with those?

I was looking at a french musket from loyalist this week and noticed that it has an unbridled frizzen. I have heard bad things about that type of frizzen. Anybody have any experience with those?

Many of the earlier locks had this feature, the unthreaded portion of the frizzen screw must be a good fit to the hole in frizzen.

The Davis lock on my tulle de chase has the unbridled frizzen, lots of shooting and no problems to date.

As mentioned, many locks did wihtout an attached bridle, especially military guns. Modern steels, screw seats and machinery able to hold tighter tolerences usually do away with the problems encountered with unbridled locks of old.

One problem I know of is that if the piece is used in re-enacting mounting a flash guard becomes a major PITA. Too tight and the frizzen doesn't want to open. Too loose, and the guard flops around and the safety guys get nervous.

One problem I know of is that if the piece is used in re-enacting mounting a flash guard becomes a major PITA. Too tight and the frizzen doesn't want to open. Too loose, and the guard flops around and the safety guys get nervous.

this to is a simple fix .
a longer frizzen bolt is needed with a stop nut . the flash guard is put on first and then the a nut , frizzen is screwed on . the nut is adjusted to hold the flash guard in place while allowing the frizzen to have free movement .
Im not sure if its PC or not but i know it works

TOW sells a conversion screw w/a shoulder and nut on it for this there is one on my Centermark Tulle

Back