• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Under Hammers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UH-Flint.jpg

This shadow bothers me also!

It could be a secondary V spring, or just add tension to the main spring. Wonder what it is?

Also, back to the straight main spring......Have you looked at the linkage that Hillard and Kendall use? They have straight springs and linkage to the hammer?

There must be a reason why they did not just bend the spring........ :hmm:

My picture is not very good, but if you look close you can that alot of the parts are dovetailed to the main frame.

Tommy

Thanks Tat for posting.The lock reminds me of a Stainless Steel .22 caliber UnderHammer I had seen in Foxfire years ago. :winking:

This has grown into a most interesting discussion and I've learned a few things. Especially that nice simple Woody set-trigger.

I missed seeing that mysterious bit that is under the mainspring. I don't see any other way to get sufficient clearence under the scear other than to have a bent spring. Still as was said "If it works"
I'm not familiar with Hillard and Kendall, can you give me a link?

Colonial.

Colonial Boy said:
This has grown into a most interesting discussion and I've learned a few things. Especially that nice simple Woody set-trigger.

I missed seeing that mysterious bit that is under the mainspring. I don't see any other way to get sufficient clearence under the scear other than to have a bent spring. Still as was said "If it works"
I'm not familiar with Hillard and Kendall, can you give me a link?

Colonial.
Page 25 is the kendall
Pg 26 is the Hilliard
Pictorial History of the Under-Hammer Gun.

The thumb is healing nicely, just a bit of hard stuff still to fall off, so I've been doing some heavy filing with the 'Dreadnought' file.
Owing to the limitations of the milling set up there was a fair amount to file off.
Here's a pic of it in the outdoor vyce which is an old off-set that I have for blacksmithing. I like to work outdoors when the weather is OK---easier on the old eyes.
DSC00774.jpg

Colonial.

It is looking great! :thumbsup:

Keep posting pictures of your progress.

Tommy

Well progress has got held up for a while, health reasons mainly plus a bit of laziness.
I mentioned this on the pre-flint and the percussion forums. Going into the hospital tomorrow to have a bit of plumbing repaired and wont be back to doing anything for a few weeks.
Have fun building

Colonial Boy.

Great!

I am glad to hear you are doing well. :thumbsup:

I was looking in my underhammer book today and the original picture you posted of the flintlock is out of this book also.

Tommy

Thank you all again. I am now home once more, 'cause I said to the Doc that I liked the food and the nurses so much that I wanted to go back again.
Nice fella he granted my wish, and on my birthday too :grin: (24/3) Got out yesterday morn, but as this time it was a blood clot I really do have to take things easy for a few weeks. Lots of blood tests and 'rat poison'.
He did say that I can read and draw :(

Colonial.

Your really something on that drill and file gu, get well Im in the same way. Fred :hatsoff:

Back