• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

United We Stand !!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
To All of you reading this:
I'm willing to bet there are a lot of you who's getting into Black Powder and don't know about the National MuzzleLoading Rifle Association!

If you like In Lines, Side Locks, Underhammers, tools, History, "How to" articles, Hunting, Target shooting or a host of other goodies like Cooking, web sites, and sources of parts then you will want the "MUZZLE BLASTS" MAGAZINE!!!
I subscribe to 5 magazines and I can honestly say this is my favorite.

"Muzzle Blasts" has something for everybody in each issue and is a MONTHLY publication. It is the official publication of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA).
NMLRA also puts on or supports hundreds of "shoots" each year, supports hundreds of local clubs and has a number of other things going on all the time.

And "HOW MUCH IS THIS GOING TO COST ME?" you say.
The current membership price is $40.00 which is pretty cheap.
I urge you to follow the following web site and join up.
http://www.nmlra.org/nmlra_enroll.htm
smile.gif

Wal, Ah reached a way down in the barrel an pulled this up ta the top coussin ah don't want it ta get lost.
What's in it fer me ye ask? Nothin! Ceptin Ah thin it's one organazation what's standin behind all o us muzzlestuffers an it's got a great magazine with somethin in it for each one one of ye and that includes yer wife if she has any interest in historic clothing an the like.

Go ahead an join up. Ye'll be glad ye did.

Muzzle Blasts has some real good recipes each month.I check them out frist then read the Bevel Brothers and then Jim Cructhfields America's Yesterday. We should all join the NRA also.
wink.gif
Rocky

I have belonged to the NMLRA for over 20 years,and it has been worth every penny.It is also a requirement in order to belong to the local club I belong to.I suppose living just a hundred miles north of Friendship is an incentive,as my wife and I make the trip down there 4 times a year,2 times each for the spring and fall shoots.
But even without that incentive,we should all support organizations like them and the NRA in order to protect our 2nd amendment rights.

I've been a life member of the NRA for about 20 years. I don't even remember how much it cost back then, but sure have enjoyed the mags coming through the years at no cost anymore. Now I just renew yearly to the NMLRA, wish I could have, and could have done the same years ago. Maybe I would have learn't somum. Did anybody see that show on Saturday night, "Hack". Didn't like the anti handgun message that it was about. NRA will probably have something to say about it. Good.

I have been an NRA member for 30+ years and way back then wished I had the money to have bought a lifetime membership...I renew now in 5 year increments.
I also joined the NMLRA a couple years ago when I began transitioning to flintlocks, frankly just in order to get the Muzzleblasts magazine as another possible source of BP information.

In total, I subscribe to three BP magazines:
Muzzleloader, Black Powder Hunting, & Muzzleblasts and would rank them in the same order in terms of the information I get out of them for my particular interests.

I am not interested in starting a debate about Muzzleblasts, but as adults we can have different views of the same subject, and I offer the following personal observations about the Muzzleblasts magazine:

1) I think there's a disproportionet amount of the magazine devoted to the NMLRA internal operations and to the Friendship range, neither of which are of value to me here in North Carolina due to the distance, costs, etc.

2) To date, compared to the NRA lobbying activities and national scope of their campaigns, I haven't seen any evidence that the NMLRA drives any kind of similar, aggressive, national, pro-active campaigns for muzzleloading matters.

So If I had to choose between the NMLRA and the NRA, I'd stay with the NRA without hesitation;
PS: I'm always interested in reading more about muzzleloading and would like to consider getting
additional magazine subscriptions, if anyone can share some additional magazine names beyond the three listed above, thanks

I used to belong to the NMLRA and thoroughly enjoyed Muzzleblasts. I've been a member of the NRA since 1971, converted to life in the mid-80's and Endowment 6-7 years ago. I used to belong to so many different gun, archery, trapping and fishing organizations that I was spending entirely too much for dues....and doing none of those fine organizations much good. I narrowed it down to the NRA and have been able to help them a little, very little, financially over the years. It took me a long time to learn you can't do it all. I reckon I'll stay right where I am. NMLRA sure is a good outfit tho!!

Vic

I believe the NMLRA is a non-lobbying org, which is too bad as they could have possibly helped to keep ML hunting seasons limited to ML's only but that is water under the bridge and it is doubtfull that they would have leaned that way anyway for fear of loosing or not gaining members, I personaly cut my ties with the org many years ago when they basicaly decided that if it loads from the front it is a ML.. but to each his own, I find ML mag the best around for those whose interest is in real ML's and history.

Roundball: I agree that a little less space could spent on the Internal Affairs but it is after a magazine of the NMLRA so some of their info is important to the members.
As for the NMLRA sending people back to Washington I don't see that happening. The NMLRA only has 19344 (Dec 2003) members while the NRA has well over 1,000,000!! YAY! YES!YES!YES!

For those non members not familiar with the magazine, I would like to say that EACH monthly issue of Muzzle Blasts DOES have a "Legislative Notes" page (or 2) which does tell us about new or pending legislation which will effect us all.

If one is so poor they have to choose between the two organizations I would say go with the NRA, BUT if he/she can come up with an extra 11 cents a day, they will be glad they spent it on an NMLRA membership.

Latest posts

Back