• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Until Next Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Minnesota's small game season ends Feb 28th, but for me, today was it. Was a beautiful, sunny day in the low 30's with light wind. The .62 cal Virginia Smoothrifle and I had to take one last walk in the woods for the season.

Just stepped into the timber and saw this giant old girl way up in a huge oak. Now, many people think I'm nuts just to use a flintlock...but if they heard that I played "ring around the rosie" chasing her around the tree for over an hour before I got a shot they'd lock me up! And she was too old and smart to fall for the old "throw the stick on the other side" trick. But, she finally made the fatal mistake of peeking out of her hiding spot in a big crotch between three huge branches. All I had was the head, but it's all that was needed. I think this is the biggest/fattest squirrel I've ever gotten. She'll fill the cook pot!

022413Squirrel1_zpsa01329fe.jpg

022413Squirrel1a_zps14950464.jpg

The second was a nice young grey squirrel. Heard a couple of barks and closed in on the location. She was high, but on thin branches, so no playin' games on this one. One more for the Virginia.

022413Squirrel2a_zps527b8b03.jpg

That wrapped it up for the small game season.

Now on to getting a good turkey load worked up in the 12 GA double for spring!

Good hunting and great photos...an excellent way to wrap up the season.
:thumbsup:

Yep our weather was non to good for bunnys But I took the hound out with my new .32 Only got one shot in two days & I under shot at 15 yards :doh: Dogs ran some others but they went to ground fast :(

Ours ends the 28th as well, so unless a job cancels my season is also over. We hunted it out hard though, both hounds & I are limping around the house.

Waidmannsheil! :thumbsup:
Great pictures and an nice story :wink:

Silex

Nice job on the photo's and squirrels :thumbsup:
That fox looks like a 3 pounder!
We had the same beautiful late February day 4 hrs. east.
Thanks for posting your late season hunts..
Enjoyed them all....dan

Back